Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Slice of Life: A great start

On Tuesdays, the community of Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life. Join the incredible community by writing a snippet of life, or even join with just a comment or two. Everyone is welcome!

Truth: The first day of school didn't make me happy yesterday. The summer was great for so many reasons--it was good to meet some of my favorite friends for breakfast, though. Over coffee, pancakes, and omelets, we heard about summer highlights and shared laughs. With emotional college dropoffs still fresh and raw, we shared a few tears as well. 

The waitress approached with the coffee. "More for anyone?" she asked. 

As 8:15 loomed, we knew we had to head toward the high school, toward Convocation, toward the 2019-2019 school year. 

"We're set," we answered. "Just the check."

She returned not with the check, but with a silver business card. 

"This gentleman paid for your breakfasts," she said. "You've won the silver bullet this morning."

We looked at each other, then around the restaurant.

"He left," she said. "He just does this sometimes. If you want anything else, it's on him, as well."

Resisting the urge to stay in the booth and order mimosas, we thanked her, left an oversize tip, and headed off to Convocation. 

But what a great start to the school year. 

Happy Slicing,

5 comments:

  1. I love hearing stories like this! Glad that your first day of school got off to a positive start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! What a turn around to your day. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! When I hear stories like this, I think I should do that for someone! But I never do. Perhaps I should set it as a goal. It really is a lovely thing to do some a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great beginning - random act of kindness and you head off to spread and teach kindness! As I watch the unkind news right now, your post gives me hope! Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific way to begin the year! Wishing you a great year, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete