Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Slice of Life: Spoiler Alert- She was fine...

On Tuesdays, the community of Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life. Join the incredible community by writing a snippet of life, or even join with just a comment or two. Everyone is welcome!

This is my place where I write about personal and family events that happen in my life, as I try to keep my other blogs, Two Reflective Teachers and Two Writing Teachers, strictly relevant and related to the world of educaton. 

As I prepared dinner, I tried to keep my mind on school, students, my book, ideas for slices---anything except my newly licensed 16 year-old driving around dark, damp streets in her quest to find red knee-high socks for her Halloween costume. I had bought her socks the night before, but she had deemed my Walmart purchase too maroon, and she wanted brighter ones. She'd find them, she assured me. 

She had already called once to tell me she was heading to a different store since Party City had just sold their last pair. When my phone vibrated again with her face appearing, I answered. 

"Mom." 

I couldn't interpret her tone, but I paused in my onion chopping. 

"You're going to be upset," she said. 

I think my heart flipped twice. My legs definitely weakened. "What?" I asked.

"I didn't do well on my biology test."

My heart settled. The blood rushed back. I took a deep breath. 

"Cecily," I wanted to yell. "If you ever, ever call me and lead off like that when you're out with my car, I might have to remove all driving privileges for the rest of your life."

Instead, I said, "We'll deal. You scared me. Just get your socks and get home soon for dinner."

We had some good laughs when we (in person) talked about the impact of her call, and maybe her lesson learned was more important than anything she should have learned for that bio test. 

Happy Slicing,


5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I felt your tension as I waited to read what she said. I think it was better for all that I was not living nearby when my sons started driving in college!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart was pounding as I read this post. I am glad everyone is fine. And yes, what a good lesson in learning how to time the giving of bad news. Its all about the tone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no slice of being Mom like the slice of fear of something happening to one's child ... the shadow of it lurks even in the brightest moments. Thank God for bad grades on biology tests! And socks! And for onions that make us cry, and for children who come home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have written this slice with a sixteen year old newly licensed girl in our home! Relieved and happy that your night ended with laughs and dinner together! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great control to wait to have that conversation eye to eye. Our kids can scare us more than anything else. She just had it on her mind and wanted it out in the universe. Wonderful slice.

    ReplyDelete