Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Slice of Life: The Notre Dame Fire

Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


Clare's message in the family group text flashed in the middle of a meeting.

Given my role as recorder, I couldn't spend time opening the link right then, and the intensity of the conversation in front of me did not lend itself for me to say that devastation was happening in Paris. 

"Pay attention," I had to tell myself. But when there was a lull in the meeting, I clicked on the link. Images of the flames and billowing smoke overwhelmed me. 

Maybe because a 30th Reunion is looming, maybe because my daughters are in the middle of college, maybe because of other reasons... in any case, I've been feeling nostalgic, and today's fire at Notre Dame added to it.

Almost thirty years ago, one of my best friends, Kara, and I boarded a plane for Paris with a pair of backpacks, a Euro-rail pass, a super tight budget, and a list of places to see. We landed at Charles de Gaulle and Notre Dame was one of our first stops on our DIY tour. Together, we explored, admiring the stone carvings, the stained glass, the pillars. We climbed up to the bell towers, taking goofy pictures of us posing with gargoyles.

I don't know if we paid attention to the history, read the stories, appreciated the details of the chapel. Maybe we did. Tonight I revisited Notre Dame through virtual tours, as well as through the memories and reflections of my friends on social media. The intricacy, the spirituality, the grandness of the chapel and all its history flooded back, reminding me of our visit so long ago. I wish I had made it back before today.

I'm having dinner with Kara at the end of the month--I'd reached out to her before today and we set that up on our calendars. We don't see or talk to each other often, but always assume that our friendship is there, solid as the landmarks we visited when we were 21. Over the last few weeks other events have reminded me of the impermanence of life and the importance of seizing moments, reaching out, doing those things I've been meaning to, but just haven't gotten around to... I have to keep working on that.

Happy Slicing,



7 comments:

  1. I visited Notre Dame in 2015 and have also reminisced. Like you, I find myself feeling a sense of urgency, not specifically about Notre Dame, but about seizing moments. I only wish the urgency and sense of loss so many feel about this iconic cathedral extended beyond the building to the bodily temples threatened by destructive forces. I’ve seen a greater concern by many about this one object than about tragedies around the world effecting vulnerable people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I sat down this am planning to write another slice but a poem about Notre Dame came out instead. I, too, have been thinking about impermanence but also resilience. The image of the interior of the cathedral after the blaze stays with me. For while the windows, buttresses are likely gone, (I can't bear to read about the damage so I don't know for sure) her hones and structure remain. Thank your for sharing. - Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have to keep working on that. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of us have memories of being at Notre Dame with family and/or dear friends. (I am lucky to have both.) What a tragic loss for France. I know they’ll rebuild. But it doesn’t quell the fact that it’s Holy Week and this loss is enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited it in 1983, when I was 18. The fire back a lot of happy memories. The loss is great, but so is the desire to rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to Notre Dame, and only got to view France from the airport BUT all of these posts I have been reading make me want to learn more about Notre Dame. It makes me sad and full of emotion for something that I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely agree ... it seemed to freeze time and propel time simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete