Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Slice of Life: "My Car is Gone..."


Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!

Since Julia is working at an internship in Boston and has a fairly long commute in the mornings and evenings, I frequently hear from her as she's driving. At 8:22, my phone rang. Yes, it was Julia. As the director of our summer writing camp I was just about to head outside to greet parents and organize students, so for a split second, I debated answering. (I ALWAYS answer my daughters' calls.)

Mom: Are you just calling to talk or is there something you need me for now?
Julia: Oooh--I'm not calling to talk. I have something important, and it's going to stress you out. 
Mom: Yes?
Julia: You're really going to be stressed. I already talked to Dad because you didn't answer a little while ago.
Mom: What Jules? 

As I walked outside, she explained how she'd walked to get the car (MY car) from where she parks (we paid A LOT for a summer parking spot) and it wasn't there. 

Mom: My car's gone? You're sure it's not towed. 
Julia: It was in my spot. Why would they tow it?

As people started to arrive, I talked her through calling the police, and I reassured her it was only money. It was a beautiful day. They didn't give her anything important to do at work, so she could be late or not make it there. 

Mom: I have to go. I'll call you in fifteen minutes when all the kids are with their teachers.

For those fifteen minutes, I tried to keep a calm demeanor, answer questions, even hold a couple of conversations. I also tried to think about when we'd have time to look at new cars or where we should go to rent one temporarily. My brain worked overtime for those few minutes. 

As I greeted kids, Julia texted me that it was towed. Okay, that's a better situation. By the time I could respond, she'd already figured out where she had to go and was heading there, and she was mad as she could be. 

Julia: They had no right to tow the car. I had the parking pass right there.
Mom: Talk to them, explain, be polite, and see what you can do. 

My morning continued with unexpected challenges-- one boy had to be carried to his class as he kicked and screamed (NOT MY program, but I was the one his mother found first!) and one of my girls didn't feel well and had to go home. (All this happened before 9:20!) And then, Julia texted again:


So now Julia knows what to do when her car is towed in a city, and she knows to make sure permits and passes are REALLY in sight, and she feels more confident in standing up for herself when she's been wronged. She might have been late to work, but she had a nice walk and she has a great story.

Happy Slicing!


5 comments:

  1. It’s crazy how our minds go to work, finding time and problem solving. I felt your inner mom struggles- to answer or not. Im glad your daughter knew where to turn- I’d still call my parents if I were in this situation. I’m glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad she is ok ... Boston is known for towing! Bummer - better than stolen for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was worrying with you! You definitely created loads of tension in this post! Happy to hear there was a happy ending for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I was with you when you were already renting cars and looking for new ones. I enjoyed how you outwardly continued on while inwardly thinking about this situation. And I'm impressed that your daughter worked it all out. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowza! Adult skills.
    Keeping calm.
    Crying children.
    And advice.
    Talk
    Talk
    Talk
    So many important skills!

    ReplyDelete