Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Slice of Life: Tomorrow, Not Today

Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!



When I finally found the email from Student Universe with the confirmation codes for Clare's ticket, my heart skipped a beat. Maybe two beats. Maybe even fifty beats. The date for her travel: January 20. Today's date: January 18. Our understanding: She was leaving tomorrow-- January 19. 


We had a problem.

Note: I can not use speech as a craft move in this post if I'm to keep it appropriate. Please imagine the appropriate dialogue.

Over and over, I considered the dates. Yesterday had been my husband's birthday, so today was definitely January 18. No-- I hadn't missed a day. 

Please, please tell me that we didn't have the wrong date booked for travel. 

(Please, please, also tell me that I don't have to co-exist with Clare and another day-before-leaving stress level!)

Without saying anything, I went downstairs to find the sheet of paper that had the agenda for her semester abroad. Truth: my heart was still pounding. At the top was the arrival date: January 20.

"Clare," I said, calling her into my room with the computer screen open and the piece of paper in my hand. "We have a situation."

I put the two artifacts in front of her and told her to consider today's date. I could tell from her expression that she didn't really know whether to cry or laugh. We'd had a stressful day of trying to get everything done, pack, run to the store for last minute necessities, review the contents of her room, go over communication plans, finalize her phone situation... To be completely honest, we had a late afternoon blow-up, and I was ready for her to leave.

"I'm leaving Monday," she finally said. "Not tomorrow?"

I nodded, and then we laughed. And laughed.

Sometimes, you really do receive the gift of time. Of another day. We'd have a great one.

3 comments:

  1. Hope it was filled with a walk, a slow cup of something warm, and maybe even some baking! Loved the ending! And now she is off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you got the extra day.

    My goodness, I haven’t talked to you in awhile.
    I’m thrilled her semester abroad is a-go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it incredible the physical feeling of uncertainty? I'm hoping it was a lovely, maybe a bit relaxed, extra day. What an awesome opportunity for her to experience.

    ReplyDelete