Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Slice of Life: The driveway or the beach?

Tuesdays are for slicing, and all are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


"I'm getting pretty warm," I said. "Anyone want to go in?"

Julia lay in front of me, soaking up rays. She couldn't hide the giggle in her voice as she responded. "Those waves are really big," she said. "I'll race you in."

All three of us, Cecily, Julia, and I, burst out laughing, covering up the sound of the waves Julia was playing on her phone. We were lying on the driveway, soaking up the warmth of the early April Connecticut sun. Sometimes imagination can overcome reality, and the simulated waves combined with the dirt of our still unsodded front yard created a pretty believable facade of the beach. 

We stayed out on the driveway for a little while longer, pretending that we didn't have work to do, pretending we were on a beach, pretending we knew nothing about a quarantine or social distancing. It didn't feel normal, but it was a great game of pretend. 

Happy Slicing,

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun. I really need to do something to escape from all the work I need to get done...if only for a minute. Great Slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the repetition here, Mel. What a beautiful little slice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so much fun, we need to see the humour especially at a time like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just admired how beautifully this is written. I loved this sentence: "Sometimes imagination can overcome reality..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well told... we need to find time for imagination!

    ReplyDelete