Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Slice of Life: Enthusiasm?

  I'm doing my best to keep up with slicing on Tuesdays! All are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!



I wasn't sure what he was going to say as the man in my Zoom meeting, one of my favorite mentors, got ready to say how he would describe me. I can't remember how exactly our conversation landed on this question, but the pathway doesn't really matter to the story. 

"You're enthusiastic," he said. 

Enthusiastic? 

The wrinkles on my forehead must have showed my confusion and maybe my displeasure with that word choice. 

"That's a compliment," he said, and I knew he meant that. "How would you describe yourself?"

"Passionate," I said. "Maybe committed. Driven. Not really enthusiastic."

The two of us launched into a debate about the difference between enthusiastic and passionate, and my point was that enthusiasm didn't relay a sense of seriousness or pathway to action. He disagreed, emphasizing the importance of positive energy behind whatever meaningful change was on deck. That, to him, was enthusiasm. 

"The work is hard," he said. "You can't give up. That's where you have to have the enthusiasm to both lead and keep going with the work."

We agreed not to disagree, but to consider and reconsider. Words matter. Passion. Commitment. Energy. Enthusiasm. How do they relate? Where do they overlap? I'll be thinking about this during my moments of quiet and contemplation. 

Happy slicing,

4 comments:

  1. It's funny you didn't like the word "enthusiastic".....that it lacked seriousness. I think I see enthusiasm as engagement- you can't be enthusiastic about something if you are bored with it or neutral. When I was a high school sophomore I went to the Hugh O'Brien Leadership Conference. (HOBY). It was one of those early life-changing experiences for me. I still remember the cheers- one of them being "To be enthusiastic you must act enthusiastic"- I think being enthusiastic is a good thing and I think you are all good things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it fair to say that I see his point and yours?

    Knowing you well, I'd describe you more as passionate about education. Enthusiastic has a cheer-leading kind of quality to it. You're a serious leader... Maybe this is why the word made you wrinkle your brow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting conversation. It's such an important reminder - not only of the importance of WORDS, but a reminder that their very definition often depends so much on our own experiences and perspectives. You've certainly got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just blogged recently about an adjective that I would describe myself as, and I chose passionate. I LOVE what Stacey wrote that "enthusiastic has a cheerleading kind of quality to it." I'm known to be incredibly loud and energetic and excited, and while I don't mind being described as such, there are areas in my life that I truly see myself as passionate. I don't know - for some reason, it seems like a more serious word than just "being enthusiastic" about something. Ha, I love this discussion!

    ReplyDelete