Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Slice of Life: A Late Summer Swim

   Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


I didn't get to the beach until late in the afternoon, but Sarah was still there, reading the water-warped copy of Daisy Jones and the Six, furrows of sand between her feet. She abandoned the book when I sat down, and the two of us talked and watched the clouds drift in front of and away from the sun. Block Island hung on our horizon, deceiving in its late summer closeness. 

My plan had been to take a quick swim, but instead, I spread my towel and enjoyed the luxury of conversation without a wonder about time or lists or the next thing to do. In the cool breeze, I wondered out loud if I'd even go in. Sarah was far from encouraging. "Too chilly for me," she said. 

I waited until the sun re-emerged from clouds. "I don't have many days left of riding to the beach and swimming in the ocean," I said, getting up from the towel and heading toward the waves. 

Given the chilliness of the air, I expected the water to feel warmer. And, as much as I appreciated the gentle waves, the bigger ones force a quick entry. Maybe my slow entry made that water seem extra cold. Even so, I spent my usual minutes on my back watching my toes surface and savoring a late-summer swim. 



4 comments:

  1. These lines: Block Island hung on our horizon, deceiving in its late summer closeness.

    My plan had been to take a quick swim, but instead, I spread my towel and enjoyed the luxury of conversation without a wonder about time or lists or the next thing to do. In the cool breeze, I wondered out loud if I'd even go in. Sarah was far from encouraging. "Too chilly for me," she said.

    This is late summer in a nutshell- the pull and push of the weather, sunlight, slower pace, and so much more. I am glad you took that swim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the detail of the furrows between her feet...that's one of the joys of reading at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first summer swim and the last summer swim both have a special place in the summer, and carry completely different emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, I'm so glad you take time to enjoy the ocean. So lovely to have that unstructured visiting time with Sarah, and to take time to swim too. Beautiful. Enjoy. You won't regret that you didn't swim when the fall comes.

    ReplyDelete