Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Slice of Life: Thinking about pictures for inspiration

 

   I'm doing my best to keep up with slicing on Tuesdays! All are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


As I've been sitting on hold with a financial company that shall remain anonymous, I have been  trying to think of short and engaging writing activities that could inspire students to practice using dialogue in very low stakes ways. 

I love this picture for thinking about what could be said between the fox and mouse. 

I'm collecting some other pictures to give to students as choices, using this one as a mentor!

“I know I look tasty,” the mouse said, “But really, you don’t want to eat me.”


“Why would you think that?” the fox asked. He looked like a healthy young fox who got plenty to eat, but he had missed his morning snack, and his stomach was rumbling. 


The mouse could feel his insides turning circles and spinning. Could this really be the end for him? He sat up on his haunches and looked the fox right in the eye. “The truth is,” he began, but stopped and thought. “The truth is that I ate some poisonous berries this morning. I haven’t been feeling well since, and I don’t know why I did it, but I did.”


“What’s poison?” the fox asked. He really was young and naive.


“Poison is stuff that can kill you,” the mouse said. “And if you eat me, then you’ll be poisoned as well.”


“I’ll have to ask about that,” the fox said, and he left the mouse. 


The mouse didn’t wait one extra second. He spun around and scurried away from the fox and his near death experience as fast as he could!

It's not exactly a slice of MY life, but it's a slice of the mouse's. (My slice is still listening to elevator music. I think I've heard the same refrain about a hundred times.)

Happy Slicing! 




PS I'm still on hold. 


3 comments:

  1. Love the slice within a slice structure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Being on hold is one of those things we tell ourselves we can do. We can stay on a little longer. What if they come on in the next minute? We have time. We tell ourselves this and yet feel like that mouse, as if our life is flashing before our eyes and we have to lie to get out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't on hold, but found myself trying over and over to make a reservation for a vaccine. Every time I selected a time, it would be gone by the time I finally clicked all the right buttons. But success finally arrived and I have an appointment for early next month. You made good use of your wait time!

    ReplyDelete