Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Slice 3 of 31: Jellyfish, Salmon, Turtles, and Starfish...

SOLC #3 of 31
Thank you to StaceyTaraDanaBetsyAnna, and Beth for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge throughout the month of March  and on Tuesdays throughout the year. Everyone is welcome to visit Two Writing Teachers to read more Slice of Life posts or to join in!



Alan Wright got me thinking about jellyfish and salmon in his first post of the month. If you haven't missed it, you will have some good laughs and some definite insights wondering about whether you are a jellyfish or a salmon. Reading other people's slices is a wonderful way to find inspiration.











By the time I read Alan's post, Kevin Hodgson  had already commented, suggesting the metaphor of a Loggerhead Turtle, "who survives on the beach and swims the world, only to return (well, the mama, anyway) to the nesting ground to start a new brood of explorers? " He got me thinking about other seafaring metaphors.


A starfish came to my mind. After all, starfish can float and cling, they can generate new body parts when they are injured, and they are sensitive to garbage in their world.



I mentioned the post and the question to my husband and he laughed. "How about a flounder?" he said. We kept the conversation going with times in life to lie at the bottom, camouflaged, waiting for some reasons to flap and dart.

So what are you? Any more nominations?

Happy Writing,








7 comments:

  1. Melanie,
    I love the "jellyfish vs. salmon" and wonder if it's possible to be some of both - depending on the situation? I don't know enough "seafaring" to add but I love your addition of the "flounder" - Such an interesting name for a fish!

    Thanks for making me think this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    I love the "jellyfish vs. salmon" and wonder if it's possible to be some of both - depending on the situation? I don't know enough "seafaring" to add but I love your addition of the "flounder" - Such an interesting name for a fish!

    Thanks for making me think this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have me thinking fish...which is all I have room for in my brain, having completed 3 hours of the PARCC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the flounder, that seems to fit me better than the jellyfish or salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting question I've never thought about, but I like the idea of being able to regenerate as needed! In truth, I'm probably more of a salmon. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting question. I'm not sure about myself, but I'd say my Maddie is a guppy ("Oh, don't be such a guppy" - from The Little Mermaid) and my Katie is a clownfish. :)

    ReplyDelete