Thursday, March 26, 2020

Slice of Life 2020: 26 of 31- A morning routine

March is for daily slicing, and all are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


This morning I woke up early as I always do. Instead of reaching for my book as I've been doing for the last couple of weeks, I got out of bed, headed to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and took a shower. I got dressed-- leggings and a favorite sweatshirt-- an outfit I might wear to school on a casual day. It would be borderline. 

At the bottom of the stairs, my dog jumped up to greet me. He does that. He's always happy to see the first person downstairs in the morning. The wood floor was cold, even through the socks on my feet (I decided to forego slippers and instead plan for those comfortable Steve Madden sneakers the girls gave me for my birthday) and I turned up the heat. I turned on the coffee, set up my favorite mug with a little bit of milk, took Okie outside, fed him. 

And now I sit writing my slice and making my rounds with comments, my coffee beside me, my dog watching and hoping I'll finish soon and take him for a walk. The neighbor who also walks circles the end of the cul de sac, her sneakers flashing. I don't know her name yet, but in different circumstances, I know I would.

A normal morning, a routine. 

Sort of. 


6 comments:

  1. I bet the Okie greeting makes it worth it to be up so early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - our new normal. I wonder if I’ll ever get tired of wearing yoga pants and nice sweatshirts. I may have to splurge and get a few new “work” outfits

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely strange to have a such a different new normal. I'm also trying to maintain as "normal" a routine as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you took what is normal to share the not-so-normal without being obvious. Your taking us through the morning and letting us decide what would be 'normal' for a work day was clever and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! I just wrote about our new work outfits in my slice today. I hope your day today was a success and a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for tomorrow's slice -- and I know that neighbor will be so lucky to meet you!

    ReplyDelete