Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Slice of Life: How is it only December?

 

   I'm doing my best to keep up with slicing on Tuesdays! All are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


In an email I wrote to teachers, I included the line: How is it already December tomorrow?  I reread it, thought about it, and I deleted that line. 

Maybe what I really meant, and as I sit here and write this post on the morning of December 1, how is it only December? 

If I think back to a year ago, my youngest daughter was waiting for a college acceptance. Since then, she's graduated, deferred, worked harder than she ever has, and has become a fitness junkie as well as a foodie. But wait, let's just consider 2020. 
 
It's hard to believe that in January 2020, there were only a few rumblings of a virus in China. Little did I know...  In January 2020, I was picking paint colors for the house we were building and would move into on March 9,  just before one of my best friend's husband's 400 person funeral a day later. And just before the state shut down four days later. And just before my third daughter came home early from her semester abroad six days later. 

How could that week have happened less than nine months ago? 

I could keep going with 2020: the highs and lows-- the game nights, toilet paper crises, Zoom sessions, family hikes, election results, new puppies... (yes, that's plural, as we got one and so did my mother. That's another post.) It's just hard to believe it's only December. 

I wonder what the response would have been if I had written: How is it only December?

My guess is that the teachers would have more than understood.




7 comments:

  1. Yes, Yes and Yes! What a year it has been. I am thankful for all the time we had to connect, learn, laugh, and think together. We need to schedule another zoom soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is so weird right now- both soooooo slow and incredibly fast and so many of my usual time markers are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your slice captures so well how because so much has happened this year, the passing of time feels so different. I suspect you will never forget March, 2020. A time in just one week SO much changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I don't know how this year has dragged on the way it has, but I'm thankful it's almost over. Not like the beginning of 2021 is going to be better, but I'm hopeful life will start to return to normal late next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bouncing back and forth has been hard. There has been chaos for sure but there have also been little times of joy or sweetness. It has been a long year. Here is hoping next year provides more smiles and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's stunning to consider how much has changed in the last less-than-a-year. I imagine quite a few people will be thoroughly delighted to welcome 2021 and bid goodbye to 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just commenting elsewhere about the strange sense of time this year. You capture it well here. Sometimes it seems we've lived a decade in 2020, and in other ways, we've survived in a limbo-like "pause" mode. Thank heaven for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete