Sunday, March 11, 2018

Slice of Life 2018: 11 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 

When I got off the highway, Waze told me I had only about fifteen miles left. I'd be at my friend's house by seven. Despite the app-directed forays away from the highway, the drive had been easy. I'd caught up with a friend, touched based with my husband and daughters, and listened to the first few chapters of Beartown.  I even had a bag of sourpatch kids to keep me company. (That's my sugary little secret.)

But then the snow squalls interrupted my smooth sailing. At first, it was just a little hard to see. The oversize flakes swirled around on the road in front of me, but didn't stick. After a few miles, though, the squalls kept coming. (BTW: What constitutes squall and what constitutes real-deal snow? Maybe Vermont has different ideas!) Ten more miles. Going down and around a curve, I stepped on the brake and listened to the noise my car makes when it has no intention to stop. 

The speed limit was 50, and Waze reported that I should arrive at 6:58. Since I couldn't see or stop, I kept it well under that posted speed. I just kept an eye on how much farther I had and my thoughts on the dinner and wine that was waiting for me. 6:58 came and went, but I made it there--just might have broken a sweat in those last few miles! 

Sometimes the hardest part--in so much of what we do--is the last stretch. 

Happy Slicing!


5 comments:

  1. That was quite a drive! Your sentence, "snow squalls interrupted my smooth sailing," just rolls off the tongue. The ending says it all, "Sometimes the hardest part--in so much of what we do--is the last stretch." Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gritting my teeth as I read your words. Snow squalls have been all to frequent here in the northeast and I don't like getting caught in them.
    "Sometimes the hardest part--in so much of what we do--is the last stretch." I too love these words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sweating right along with you! I drove into a snow squall coming back from Virginia at Christmas. I had checked my phone all the way up 81 and the weather looked clear. As soon as I hit 84, BOOM! It was like a blizzard. It took me an hour and half to get to the NY border. Then the snow magically stopped. Glad you made it to your friend's house safely. I'm sure you enjoyed the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, squalls are the real deal. This line: I stepped on the brake and listened to the noise my car makes when it has no intention to stop. I could hear and feel exactly what was happening in your car at that moment. Great way to bring us into the car. So glad you made it and yes, that last stretch!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow squalls are the worst... I do love how you stretched this moment and I felt like I was right beside you, as we have had so many winter driving moments. Your last line does sum up so much of our day to day. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete