Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Slice of Life 2018- 20 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 


Julia and I were able to sneak a quick birthday trip to the mall so that she could pick out a couple of things with her birthday giftcard. I didn't mind the first couple of stores--in fact I liked them. And then I got talked into just a quick stop at one of those teen-oriented stores. She headed straight toward a dress she tried on over the weekend and pulled it out so I could see. She held her phone up so I could see a picture.

"Look," she said. "Isn't it cute?"

Honestly, it looked more like a green tennis dress than a dress for a formal or going out. "It seems to be missing some fabric," I said. 

Julia rolled her eyes. 

Luckily, I didn't have to say too much more for her to happily agree to leave the dress behind. I know I can't prevent my girls from wearing dresses that reveal more than they cover, but she didn't push me to buy it for her. Instead we headed to the bookstore. 

"Make sure that you remember that on your birthday, I bought you books I might not love as opposed to dresses I definitely didn't," I said. 

She laughed and gave me a hug. "They probably last longer," she said.


Happy Slicing,


7 comments:

  1. Love ending with a laugh and that she realized it! The dresses are quite micro these days. She will appreciate your guidance some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much to learn! It never occured to me that someday Eliza might want to buy books that I don't love . . . Perhaps Julia was just 'testing' you (?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud, Melanie! Your comment about the dress missing fabric, then the space, then the line, "Julia rolled her eyes." I know I'll be in this position someday, although I know it'll be different as the dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise answer from your daughter! It was wonderful to see my children develop their own tastes in reading, defend them and try to win me over with their favorite genres. I still get ribbed by my young adult son over my reluctance to read dystopian novels...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great moment to share. You can feel the relationship you and Julia have through your writing. The witty banter, the back and forth... priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a wise mom with a great daughter. I'm also thankful right now that I have two sons...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m sure that right turn took more maneuvers than you note. Your wonderful relationship is clearly on display.

    ReplyDelete