Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Slice of Life 2018: 13 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 

During tech week, Cecily declared that she was never doing another school play. That's what they always say when the rehearsals are from 4 to 10, when there are stops and starts, when microphones don't work, and the timing is off, and the director is yelling, and homework's piling up...

And then it's opening night, and only the cast knows the mistakes and the audience is blown away and there are ovations and flowers and hugs and gushing. 

And then there's the cast party, and strike, and---

it's over. It's over. 

And the conversation turns to speculation about what play will be chosen for next year. 

I smile into my coffee, realize I have another post about an ending--seems to be my #sol18 unintended theme-- and celebrate the resilience of my daughter. 

A lot of times those hardest things elicit the most pride and joy.  

Happy Slicing,



9 comments:

  1. Oh, endings are hard. I love your line, "it's over. It's over." Congratulations to your hard-working daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out as theater arts major - did productions all through high school and I so remember the toil, the angst, the despair of it ever coming together, and how the performances always did. When it's over, it takes a while to readjust! This brought it all back, vividly. I celebrate your daughter's resilience - and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I miss those days when my children were involved in theater. There are so many ups and downs. It is so true that "A lot of times those hardest things elicit the most pride and joy." Congrats to your daughter on a successful show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this slice! It seems you have a future actress on hand? I"m glad the play experience ended up being such a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't this so true of so many things... as we are in it, it is hard and challenging and we struggle to find the real reason we do it. Then it's over and we know it was all worth well. Way to go Cecily! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this slice -- you built the frenzy and the tension and then brought to quiet reflection over coffee. So many things in life work this way - important to remember. I went to see our High School musical this weekend. I have no one in it, but at the end all the seniors who have ever performed (any performance) on that stage in high school come up, hold hands and kiss the stage. I was a mess! Talk about endings -- this is tough stuff!!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your teaser got me! I needed to know what wasn't going to happen ever again. I remember that feeling when HS plays came to an end. Whatever was going to fill the void? It gets filled pretty quickly, doesn't it? Funny you should mention endings as I just finished reading Daniel Pink's new book, When, and he talks about beginnings, endings, and the in-between. Good slicing possibilities there. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this- both the subject and your writing. Your description is so accurate. And yay for Cecily and a successful production.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was never into drama, but I had friends who were and friends who still are, and they understand - and still talk about - that ending feeling well. Endings provide such great fodder for emotions and great Slices!

    ReplyDelete