Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Thoughts Are In Boston

We are away on vacation this week so news didn't get to as quickly as it usually does. I had a post in my head ready to write but I will save it for another day because my thoughts are with the victims of yesterday's bombing in Boston. Somehow, writing about the silliness and laughter of yesterday's adventure seems inappropriate, although I will work hard to preserve and continue the joy we are having.

Just as images from the Newtown shooting have haunted me for the last few months, so will the face of Martin Richard, the 8 year-old who was waiting with his family for his father to finish the race. How does a family go on in the wake of such unspeakable, unbelievable, meaningless tragedy? The families of Newtown continue; I have watched and paid attention. Some are spurred on by their charge to make a difference in gun control and mental health services.

What missions will come from the bombings in Boston? I suppose that they will develop as we learn more about the motivation behind the bombings. In the meantime, I am left wondering about our safety in this country. After the 9/11 bombings, I felt an enormous sense of vulnerability and concern for the fact that I could not possibly lie my body across my four daughters to save them from the world's craziness. Today, I feel even more vulnerable.

I'm not sure that I will ever enjoy a crowded place again.

5 comments:

  1. Preserve the joy of your trip, because life goes on and we can do better than to live always in fear and sorrow.
    I hope you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I have avoided crowds since September 11th. I stopped going to the St. Patty's Day Parade in NYC and rarely find myself in a crowd (other than an occasional sporting event). I haven't stopped living though... just modified the way I enjoy life.

    I don't know how one goes on after such a horrific event impacts them personally. I hope we never know how to handle that. I cannot even begin to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This world needs prayer...My heart goes out to all the people surrounded and impacted my this event. Just yesterday we had to practice lock down drill. I kept rehearsing in my brain how I could protect the children...so sad...why??? xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The randomness of these attacks makes us all feel vulnerable. Having family members in Boston, NYC, and the D.C. suburbs could make me crazy with worry. And yet, we do carry on. Cherish this time with your family and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. The acts of so few people have the power to change what we do and how we act. These acts are so senseless. Where will it end?

    ReplyDelete