Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Slice #11 of 31: Thank You to My Girls

This month, I have committed to writing every day through the community at Two Writing Teachers. All are welcome to the March Slice of Life Challenge! It's not too late to join in with comments-- or just read... 




Yesterday, Dana wrote a post that was a tribute to her mother, remembering how her mother was always there, being proud of her. She inspired me to find the moments and celebrate them when my daughters make me proud. Today was easy.

Reflecting on the day, I had some wonderful moments, some truly wonderful moments, but the best part of the day was coming home from a meeting I had after hours. Many of you know that we live with my parents. My father is not well and our living situation works for the time being--that's another story... My husband was also out tonight, taking one of our daughters to soccer practice, so my younger girls, who are 15 and 12, were home with my parents.

"Help LC," I said before I left. (LC is my mother).

Clare rolled her eyes at me. "Yes, Mom," she said.

Cecily kissed me. "Don't worry, Mom," she said. "We're fine and of course we'll help."

When I got home, just my mom was in the kitchen. Doc goes to bed early and the girls were upstairs doing homework.

"The girls were incredible," she said. "Clare cleaned up the kitchen and Cecily put Doc to bed pretty much all by herself."

We have debated and struggled with whether Cecily does too much for my father. She's twelve, and she is a rock-star care giver. Honestly, it's beyond our control. She gets him to do exercises, plays solitaire with him (is it still solitaire when you play with a partner?), reminds him to brush his teeth, and yes, she cues him for what needs to happen when he showers.

"Cecily even watched Jeopardy with Doc," LC said.

"That's actually a pretty good show," she piped in, coming into the kitchen to say hello.

I hugged her, thanking her for the peace she gives me to be able to go to an evening forum and telling her how proud I am of her. Then, I went up and hugged Clare, too.

"I am so proud of the kind human being you are," I said.

Sometimes those girls really do reach in and grab my heart.


Happy slicing and celebrating the moments that make us proud!


9 comments:

  1. I'll be her eyes lit up when you told her how you felt about you. You have good reason to be proud. What a little treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, first slice of the day, and I have a huge lump in my throat! Your girls sound like really special young women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Melanie - the kindness of your daughters and your appreciation of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Melanie - the kindness of your daughters and your appreciation of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughters are a living example of the parents who are raising them. You have a special family indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I'm impressed you took a picture that they both approved :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the nicest slice about your daughters, Melanie. The kindnesses they are doing will stand them well all their lives, and the memories of living with the grandparents too. My granddaughter Ingrid went with me often to visit my husband, was very 'at home' with him & all the patients, visited and sang to them. (She was 4). She has good memories of that time & we are grateful. Thank you for reminding us about the family we need to thank more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing post! And what amazing daughters you have! I loved the part that Cecily watched Jeopardy with Doc!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing post! And what amazing daughters you have! I loved the part that Cecily watched Jeopardy with Doc!

    ReplyDelete