Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Slice of Life: Wondering What "We" Really Means

Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


At a recent conference, the presenter invited participant response, and as one man spoke, the presenter must have been listening hard.

"You used the word 'we' four times in your comment," he reflected.

I thought about that observation as I walked later that afternoon, but I thought about it lots more the next day when the presenter, Derick Spaulding, dug into what we mean when we use the plural pronoun as opposed to the singular pronoun. Let me write that differently: What do I mean when I use the plural pronoun as opposed to the singular pronoun?

Since I have increased my awareness of this pattern, I'm not sure it's always for inclusiveness. I find myself using the plural as I work with teachers. "When we ____"---- something like that. What do I mean by this? Is it a softer way of saying "You should?" Maybe. Or a way of saying "I do this, but you don't?" Maybe. I don't think there's one translation, and I don't think the connotations are always negative. But it's something else to think about in this complex process of teaching and learning.

Thank you to Derick Spaulding whose many points have pushed my thinking and have stayed with me in the work I continue to try to do better.

5 comments:

  1. Melanie, you have given me something new to think about. Our wording is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder and good way to shift the power dynamic. I think about this a lot. Thanks for writing about it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pronoun “I” in its singularity isolates, sending a message—at times—as “my way.” In contrast, “we” suggests the other person, perhaps the one listening or being discussed, is the one standing alone.

    I remember reading something about the singular pronoun “I” as self-focused a few months ago.

    I agree we/I must pay attention to this usage and critique the choice in each discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, consider this sometimes - how I try to be inclusive but am sometimes really continuing my regular thinking pattern with a new word. In our house, we make each other laugh when someone says, "We need to... and by 'we' I mean 'you'." At least we're honest? Doesn't work as well at school...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this little nugget of knowledge with me. You are making me think about my use of pronouns too!

    ReplyDelete