Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Slice of Life: On Petitions, Starfish, and Taking It From Here

 

The school year has started, and my slicing life is back on track. All are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!



I spent Sunday morning reading not only posts and tributes to Ruth Bader Ginsburg, but also interviews and articles that were written during her life. I already knew a fair amount about her because the recent movies about her, RBG and On the Basis of Sex, had inspired me to read then. 

One of the articles linked to a petition created by the Move On organization to block any nomination until after the November election. Tracing back on my on-line reading path, I'm not even sure how I wound up on the petition page, but I did. 

I don't sign on-line petitions. I don't like pop-ups, and it still freaks me out that Facebook knows exactly what to put in my feed because of what I've been shopping for. 

I started to sign the petition, but I stopped. Did I mention that I don't sign on-line petitions? But I kept the tab open. 

I returned to my posts and tributes, reading quotes, sifting through ones that could work for a call for slices. I watched some videos of past interviews, chuckling at RBG's sly humor, tearing up at the passion and responsibility she felt as a leader.

Somewhere in there, one of my daughters texted about RBG. And then one of my high school friends sent a message in our group text about what we have to thank RBG for as women. 

Those of you who know me understand that I pay attention to signs. This was about more than remembering and honoring. It's about action. What can I do to honor all the work, commitment, and brilliance of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 

I signed the petition. And I hope they send me stuff to do because I also committed to doing something every day for the next few weeks--right up until November 3-- that honors the legacy of RBG and keeps her work moving forward. I have asked my friends to hold me accountable, and including it in an SOL post also holds me accountable. 

The Starfish Story has always been a favorite of mine. It's the one about the child who throws starfish back into the ocean, trying to save some on a beach where there are way more than can be saved. The child's focus is on making a difference one by one. 

I don't know if I can make a difference, but day by day, I'm going to try. And maybe someone reading this post will try too. 

I loved Amy McNamara's opinion piece published in the LA Times on Sunday where she ended:

So RBG, if you can hear me: Don’t worry. Rest easy. We miss you like hell already, but we’ll take it from here. You have done more than enough.

Let's all take it from here.



 


6 comments:

  1. I like that you decided to sign it, which took you out of your comfort zone. The next six weeks will
    Involve a lot of that for those of us who want to keep her memory alive by working to elect those who will protect our freedoms we hold so dear.

    Lmk if you want to do phone banking with me. I can get you signed up. (That’s our of my comfort zone — big time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small moment you describe of hovering over the button and leaving your tab open expresses this change in our thinking about action well. We feel the despair over RBG’s death but she could never do it all, and we all have power and agency to find and use.
    Can I also suggest votefwd.org? You send out form letters personalized by one paragraph from you on the importance of voting. You don’t tell people how to vote, but your letter spurs them to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small moment you describe of hovering over the button and leaving your tab open expresses this change in our thinking about action well. We feel the despair over RBG’s death but she could never do it all, and we all have power and agency to find and use.
    Can I also suggest votefwd.org? You send out form letters personalized by one paragraph from you on the importance of voting. You don’t tell people how to vote, but your letter spurs them to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with your views on online petititions and the intrusions from FB. I rarely post anything political but did post the statements from the Repubs who could not approve a justice in 2016 and their video voices on Sunday. A minimum of an action a day is my goal as well. So much to do. Our lives depend on our work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you signed it! I have been very active since July on a few local campaigns and texting/calling for the National election. It feels good to get involved. All we can do is what we can do. I have to tell you the title made me smile - I remember helping you break that 40 day food fast! That was a fun night. Glad you are well.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete