Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Slice of Life: Coffees, frogs, and skeletons

Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!

What seemed like a normal stop at Starbucks created a couple of very strange stories. Garth, Clare, and I needed to pass about fifteen minutes before an appointment so we stopped, ordered drinks, and took them outside to enjoy the warm weather. (There hasn't been a whole lot of it this spring.)

I went to sit down first, but something was on my chair. I thought it was a napkin. Then I thought it was a rock or a piece of cement. I looked closer, and it was moving just a tiny, tiny bit. "It's a frog," I said. 

"That's not a frog," Garth said. 

"That's definitely a frog," Clare said. 

I looked it up when I got home, and I think it was actually a gray treefrog. We sat at a different table. 




As we sat there enjoying our drinks and watching the frog, things seemed normal. A few stopped and said hello. We talked about plans for the weekend... and then a car went by with an unusual passenger. 

"Did anyone just see that?" I asked. "There was a skeleton in the passenger seat."
"Right," said Clare.
"Right," said Garth. 

Luckily for my and my reliability/sanity, the driver headed back to his car as we headed to ours, offering me a chance to snap a picture.


(Or two.)

 
I couldn't resist asking him about the rationale for a skeletal passenger, and he explained that his children were too small to sit in the front. They had gotten the skeleton for Halloween, buckled her in, and have kept her there ever since. 

Fascinating... I think there's more than a slice of life in this story...

PS- About the frog... does anyone know what would have been the right thing to do for that frog? I feel like we should have moved him from the chair but wonder where we should have brought him. What would you have done with that frog?

Happy Slicing,


5 comments:

  1. I honestly don't think I've ever had a Starbucks outing with quite such an unusual grouping of events. The skeleton in that seat is a riot - my family would totally do that. In fact, I think I will *not* show them this post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skeletons in the car? Frogs having coffee? (LOL) . Hmm - I think I would have left the frog alone, too. He will hop away when he needs to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...never met a frog at Starbucks! Must be something in the air...my daughter-in-law came home to a snapping turtle on her walkway yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, my what an outing you had. Did you read about Fran Haley's snapping turtle a few weeks ago. It was so large and had a dragon-like trail. It came to her garden to make its nest. Strange happenings! I am not sure what I would have done about the frog-probably tell the employees. As for the skeleton, that is a mighty strange tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't resist your teaser about strange happenings at a coffee shop! And you're right. Things were definitely strange for you and yours. I figured the skeleton belonged to a biology teacher taking him/her? home for the summer.

    ReplyDelete