Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Slice of Life: Delivering Breakfast to Clare

Tuesdays are for slicing about life. Join us at Two Writing Teachers!


Over the weekend, I had a special breakfast request from Clare. She had to be at work early-- before her favorite sandwich and coffee shop opened, so she left me a note. (Yes, a note... not a text!)

Would I bring her a breakfast wrap-- #1-- and an iced coffee latte with almond milk? Sift opens at 9. 

Of course I would! 

With her sandwich and her coffee in hand, I headed to the yacht club where Clare runs the harbor and drives the launch. My favorite boat was at the dock so I got a close up view as I headed up the stairs to Clare's office where she was sitting at the desk making schedules. I sat down next to her and passed over her coffee and sandwich. Before she could thank me, her radio/walkie-talkie went off with someone wanting a mooring. I wish I could capture her response right now, but it contained way too much nautical terminology for me to do her justice. A few starboards... a few ports... a bow... a stern...other terms that were less familiar to me. 

While Clare shares stories of her experiences at the club (my favorites have been the ones where men are surprised at her launch navigation since they don't expect a girl to be at the helm of a boat...much less one they are passengers on!), I don't get to see her in action firsthand too often. 

Listening to her, I couldn't help thinking of how proud her grandfather would be of his granddaughter. 

Happy Slicing! 



2 comments:

  1. Such a cool job and great that you were able to see her working first hand. Thanks, Mom for the breakfast. That sure was sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your individual post. It truly is good to view anyone reveal with text from the core together with lucidity with this necessary subject matter may very well be without difficulty recognized. Thanksgiving 2019

    ReplyDelete