Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Slice of Life: Celebrating the faces on the screen

  I'm doing my best to keep up with slicing on Tuesdays! All are welcome! Join us at Two Writing Teachers!



I wasn't sure how it would go as I watched face after face appear on the screen in front of me. 

"The link to the meet is at the top of my Google classroom," their teacher had told me, a line that I'm pretty sure would have made very little sense to me a year ago. 

"The chat isn't working," one of the third-grade boys said, a line I'm pretty sure would have made very little sense to him a year ago. 

As I gave directions and taught a short minilesson about transition words, the students accessed the digital chart through a slide presentation or through a post on their classroom feed. Some of them did a quick screenshot and put the picture of the chart right into the piece of writing they were working on so that they words would be right there for easy access. 

H. and I debated the pros and cons of using a Google document or a slides presentation for her information piece. Since she was struggling with both volume and organization, she decided to go with slides so that each slide could be for a specific sub-topic. 

Yes, some students disappeared, turning their screen off and logging off or walking away from their computer, based on what I could tell from GoGuardian (another term that would have made very little sense to me a year ago), but mostly, this group of students who hardly knew me-- I was filling in for their teacher who has Covid-- was responsive and responsible. 

In an environment where so many conversations are beginning with the size, growth, and potential for learning gaps, what a lot these eight and nine year-olds know and are able to do.

Happy Slicing,


No comments:

Post a Comment