Sunday, February 28, 2021

Slice of Life 2021- 1 of 31: A Day to Forward To and Dread

It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



"Does my debit card count as cash?" Cecily asks as she comes into my room. I'm writing, and she's going through her checklist another few times, and one of the items is money. 

March 1: The date has loomed in my mind as a date to look forward to and dread. You might be thinking I mean the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I don't. 

March 1: The day my baby (she's 18, but as the youngest of four daughters, she's my baby) leaves for her trip. She deferred her freshmen year of college, a wise and tough decision, and until two weeks ago, she ran a small group of elementary students as they navigated school from home. 

March 1: She will board a 6:15 AM flight that will stop in Chicago. She will change flights and go on to Phoenix where she will meet her three trip leaders and the nine other program participants. She will have a stuffed backpack, a daypack, a one-person tent, several masks, a COVID mail-in test, and a spirit of adventure, as she treks through the Colorado River Basin. 

And she'll be gone for almost three months. 

I open my drawer for my cash stash, and she gives me a thumbs up and an eyebrow raise. 

"No harm in having both," I say. 

March 1: Tomorrow. 

Bring it on. 

Happy Slicing,





9 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope she has a wonderful trip and I'm sure you'll really miss her. She must be excited anticipating all that travel...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time for your daughter! Your emotions are mixed, I'm sure; but the adventure and experiences she will gain are priceless. Wish I were 18 and heading out for an adventure like that; something most of us need after these crazy past 12 months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why I want to slice this month - I will miss all of these connections! This is perfect! Sending you hugs and her best wishes on 3 months of adventures, memories and new relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Melanie, I also hope for the best trip for your daughter and also for the mum. I think that being able to write about it's a bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The details of her adventure made me remember being the child in the relationship. So different to think about what the mom experiences.Thanks for letting and not letting her go at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo Cec! She's going to have the best time. You'll have to update in the coming months with some of her Yak pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome for your daughter! So tough for the mom! My oldest will be 18 years old soon, so this was very emotional to read because soon she will be leaving for college and adventures. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking forward to reading your post all day. I hope all went smoothly for Cecily today. She's going to have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for Cecily. I can't wait to hear about her adventures!

    ReplyDelete