Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Slice of Life: Somersaults for a how-to lesson

 It's Tuesday, and Tuesdays are for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 


"You're doing an observation?" I asked as the principal walked into the kindergarten classroom where I've been coaching and working with the teacher and students. "Now? In writing?"

I knew that she'd been trying to get in for an observation for a while, but she'd been aiming at word study, and not writing. 

"Is that okay?" she asked. 

"Sure," I said, thinking about Susan Kennedy's analogy of a duck she wrote about in one of her March slices. I was working hard to look calm and collected on the surface, but my brain was spinning fast.

The teacher had a lesson to teach. I had planned it and written the demonstration text. We were in the beginning phase of a How-to unit. I knew we'd talked about her leading the lesson, but I'd given her the piece before the weekend. What was it about? I was working hard to remember. 

"What do you want my role to be?" I asked. "I've been coaching in here hard. Sort of co-teaching."

"Can she do this herself?"

"She should be all set," I said. 

"Then let's see," she said. 

The teacher called students to the rug and headed my way with the demonstration text that was still the one I'd written which is when I remembered why she'd been so ready to be the leading teacher as opposed to the back-up: the how-to involved teaching someone (who would be me) to do a somersault, with the teaching point around what steps were missing or needed to be clarified. Great. 

I took out my hair clip and handed my glasses to the para in the room to await my instructions. Warning: If you ever write instructions for yourself to do a somersault, make sure you remove those accessories! Also, I had not written to tuck my head, another key step in doing a safe somersault. 

And as one of the adults pointed out after the lesson and my demonstrated somersaults in the middle of the circle, you probably want to consider who gets the backside view of you before you push off with your feet because, well.. yeah, they get quite a view...

8 comments:

  1. SO funny. I once did somersaults to award students for summer reading! I made it into the local paper...yes with that view....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I giggled at that very important last instruction. Something to consider indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I tried doing a summersault, I was 41. It didn't go well. I swore them off. Good thing it was you, not me in that classroom! You're much more agile than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to do crow pose once—and a headstand. What a versatile bunch we are. You literally "let your hair down" and everyone was the better for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me smile. I don't know when I last did a summersault but I do feel like I could use that "how to" to get one started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. So funny! Who was the principal looking to observe- just the teacher? Your school district is so lucky to have you. Were you successful in your somersault?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The moment of not remembering what your role in the lesson was about leading to doing the somersault made such a wonderful slice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have share your good knowledge. keep sharing such tricks and ideas and I will also share this Generatortext Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete