Thursday, March 31, 2022

Slice of Life 2022: 31 of 31- Last day reflections

 It's the last of March which means the last day of the Slice of Life Story Challenge, hosted at Two Writing Teachers. Join us on Tuesdays to slice and comment. All are welcome.



Throughout this whole month, for the last thirty days, with one exception when I wrote a six-word story about having nothing to write about, I have written my slice in the late afternoon or evening, and I have posted it the next morning. I may have had a few restless nights when I posted some time between midnight and five because it seemed more productive than flipping my pillow over and over. 

This morning, I am beginning this final slice of the month in the morning, and I know that I will return to it over the course of the day to add and revise, to try to get the words and the feelings right. Since this has been my eleventh March of slicing, I knew I'd finish, and I knew I'd build connections, and I knew life would feel a little different throughout the month. Somehow, I forget about the letdown that happens for me on April 1. 

I love connecting with you, even if I don't comment as faithfully as I wish I would or have in the past. 

I love thinking about what my slice will be throughout the day. 

I love mentioning the Challenge to other people and watching them process and then consider doing it one day. 

But there's more that I love about the month. 

I love that it helps me live a little more intentionally, with a little more time for pausing, and a little more time to consider and reconsider the events of the day. 

I love that it provides me glimpses into the lives of other people in far off places or into the daily joy, struggles, and reflections of other people down the hall or a phone call away. 

I love that it reminds me how hard it is to write on command without much to say that seems important or worthy, even when I have a strong command of the keyboard, spelling, and sentence structure. 

This morning, my slice has taken me less time than I thought it would, maybe because the reflections are so clear. As I say annually, I will write on Tuesdays, and I historically become sloppy about them. This year, I will try to do better to keep up, nudging myself to find a slice over the course of a week. How does that feel harder than finding one every day? There's such truth in the power of habits. 

Happy March 31, everyone. May you come up with a great April Fools Day prank for a loved one, and, if I don't see you live some time soon (and some of you I will!) I'll see you on Tuesdays, as well as on March 1, 2023! 

7 comments:

  1. Your love points are true for me, too. It's gone by faster than I thought it would. A great month of writing! I feel satisfied and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always that April 1 letdown. Writing on command without much to say that seems worthy--YES. This is a helpful practice for me as a writer and especially for me as a teacher of writing. And seriously--how is it that writing on Tuesdays is somehow harder than writing every day in March?? I find that to be true as well. I'm hoping that this will be the year I figure out how to keep going on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy writing daily about a small moment from your life. Congratulations on 31 days! I commend you for continuing with the Tuesdays, that's true writer's commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much of this post is resonating with me! I was thinking about how the March challenge really does make you live a more writerly life--paying better attention to things that may become blogging fodder. And also, the power of habit. I too find it easier to write every day in March than to keep up with Tuesdays. AND I've loved connecting with you. See you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been sloppy about Tuesdays but you are making me cement my intention- see you Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I love this slice! Such a true ending with the power of habits - why is it so much easier to write every day than write once a week? Regardless, excited for Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete