Monday, April 3, 2023

Slice of Life- It's a long way from Rodeo Drive!

 Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


I walked into the post office with my four boxes ready to send. I usually don't encounter a line, but I guess it was a popular time for buying stamps and sending packages. When I got to the window, I went through the routine:
Nope, no perishables. 
No aerosols, sprays, or flammables.
Yes, that shipping method is fine. 

"You didn't put a zip code on this one," the man said from behind the counter. 
I pulled up Julia's text. She had sent me her address last night so I could address her package. 

"90210," I read, saying it out loud. Wait, that was a familiar zip code. "That was a TV show," I said. 
Someone laughed from a place in the line behind me. 
"That's the zip code," I said, understanding the laugh and catching on to the joke that was sort of on me. "But this package is headed for Pennsylvania. Not Beverly Hills."

Turns out the zip code for Bryn Mawr is 19010. Julia's numbers were close, but her apartment is still a long way from Rodeo Drive. 

All good things,



8 comments:

  1. It's fun to be goofy at times. Allows us to take ourselves and the life less seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckled, too! Some numbers just stick and I didn't really even watch that show but know the zip! I wonder how long the package would have taken if you had written 90210?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Had you not caught the error and put the wrong zip code on the package, it may never have arrived. I think some of the postcards I sent from Thailand in February are still circumnavigating the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Funny how that number is SO familiar to those of a certain age range. And I never even watched the show. I love these kinds of moments in public where people connect and have a little laugh. Perfect to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny! I'm glad they figured it out before it got started on the trip. It could have taken a long time to get to PA. One time I received a package in Bahrain from our Arizona pen pals in the middle of summer. It had made a stop in The Bahamas before arriving in Bahrain. That was a post office error, as the package did say Bahrain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for giving me a chuckle tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ending! Glad you caught on--it helps when the wrong zip code is so famous!

    ReplyDelete