Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Slice of Life: A well-timed email from a student

  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


Last weekend, I gave a talk about the power of teaching. Leading up to that talk, I thought a lot about it, even interviewing a past student, and I've continued thinking about the potential lasting impact of interactions I may have with students. 

Then, this morning I woke up to an email from S. She is a senior in high school, and I mentored her writing spirit for many years. Up until the pandemic, she was part of a group I met with monthly, supporting them as creative writers outside of school. By eighth grade, S. had self-published five (yes, five) novels through Amazon. Here's part of what she wrote:

I'm really grateful I got to be a part of such a fun and creative group and I'll never forget it! It's helped my writing but it's also helped me to grow as a person and is part of the reason why I'm now majoring in creative writing and wanting to go further with it. 

Could we organize a reunion of our writing group, she wanted to know. I've already responded that yes, of course we can find a time for the group to meet again and share plans.

It is starting to feel repetitive and cliché to write that teaching seems hard these days. Sitting in a coffee shop in a quiet peaceful beach town during my spring break, it seems a little easier. I have the space and time to reflect, to plan, to reset, and to organize thoughts and priorities for the final weeks of the school year. And now I have the reminder from a student that sometimes my work makes a difference and inspires writers. I'll let her know how much that means. 

All good things,



6 comments:

  1. I am POSITIVE your work makes a difference EVERY single day of the year to SOMEONE. The really hard part about teaching is that it is a lot like parenting. You rarely see the rewards of your efforts and work for many, many, many years, Enjoy that well deserved break and a chance to refuel for the last part of this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a wonderful note from a student, and what an impressive student. I love hearing from my former kindergartners and 4th graders and hearing what they have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic email to receive, Melanie. Teaching IS hard and you deserve to receive feedback like that. You are an inspiration to many, many people. Always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great e-mail to receive! I'd want the reunion too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so wonderful to receive feedback from students and really feel like you're making a difference. I too have learned so much from you and your blog posts and podcast sessions. Thank you for sharing so much of your expertise with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, this is wonderful! And how inspiring that your mentee has published five novels! Those were some mighty seeds you nurtured! ~Stacie

    ReplyDelete