Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Slice of Life 2021- 2 of 31: I forgot and I remembered!

 It's March! That means that I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I am happy to co-host this event with the team at Two Writing Teachers. Everyone is welcome!



There's been a lot to remember lately, and somehow I've found myself keeping multiple to-do lists, a practice that I do NOT recommend. Few things lead to me forgetting things more regularly than keeping multiple to-do lists. 

Yesterday, as I read a friend's SOL post, something poked my brain. The part of my brain that says, Melanie, you're forgetting something. MELANIE! YOU'RE FORGETTING SOMETHING! (So maybe it was a little more than a poke...)

Oh no. The most effective way I'd inspired a student to complete an on-demand essay was to suggest that she write a letter to her former teacher, you guessed it, the one whose slice I just read. And the student wrote that letter, and I loved it, and I virtually high-fived her, and I FORGOT to copy it and send it along to the intended recipient. 

MELANIE!!!!

Fortunately, not too much time has gone by, and I have already taken steps to rectify this situation. Former teacher, you know who you are! And I know you will love the letter! Hopefully you will write back in a more timely fashion than the fashion in which I passed this lovely message along! 

Note to self: consolidate the to-do lists! 

Happy Slicing! 


10 comments:

  1. I could just see the wheels turning. The brain poke you described seems nearly constant these days! When I clean off my desk at school, I am bound to find multiple abandoned to do lists; they also are in my inbox, where I continue the time-honored practice of emailing things to myself. And then sometimes forgetting them entirely.

    Glad you could make good on the task!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote the above - and blogger commenting is really vexing to me/ not keeping my google id like it says it will. - Tim Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate that feeling!? I understand the multiple to do list overwhelm and am glad you could rectify your oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too busy, too much to do. Oh well, there's the life of a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that I can hear you and see you as I read it. Don't get me started on to-do lists .... imagine if you couldn't actually do anything on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is my life! Those moments of "oh, no I forgot" come in the middle of the night sometimes. I think we eventually get to it all and that is what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy. I am your daughter... I think I have 4 different lists just laying around the living room right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multiple to do lists- I can relate. I love the repeating that creates the sense of urgency as you are trying to remember what you forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I can picture your to-do lists on large post-it notes. 2. I love how you described "the brain poke." 3. This was exactly what needed to be moved to the top of my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to think about how you operate in the world over there in CT, Melanie Meehan. Truly. My mind is like yours - so I wonder if I'll be doing exactly this at some point in ...a handful of years? And also, LISTS FOREVER. XOX,
    Nawal

    ReplyDelete