Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Slice of Life: One of Those Days

 


   It's Tuesday, and Tuesdays are for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

It had been one of those mornings. A meeting ran over, and I was late to the next one. The end result of both meetings (that I'd done a lot of work for) was... more work. Emails had come in with requests and scheduling issues I was trying to figure out, and sleep had been at a premium the night before--- somehow, my mind wasn't having it when it came to shutting down. 

One of those days.

Taking on the role of self-consoler and personal cheerleader, I decided to give myself ten minutes and six dollars and head to the local coffee shop for an unusual early afternoon cup of coffee. A vanilla latte from a master barista would turn the day around or at least spike the energy level to plow through the reports and agendas that were on my desk. 

The barista was lovely. She smiled as she handed the coffee over to me, and I savored the smell. Along the mile-long drive back to school, I resisted that first sip, not wanting to burn my tongue, proud of myself for thinking of this. However, the tree work right in front of the school held me up, and my resistance wavered.

I took that sip. 

And that barista, that cute, smiling, proud-of-her-product barista must not have put the top on quite right. That coffee did not dribble. It waterfalled all over my white shirt. 

Yep. Fortunately for me, I live close to the school, and I had a clean white shirt in my closet ready to wear. Fortunately for me, I'd waited to sip until the coffee cooled off a bit. And fortunately for my family, I even had the presence of mind to take a picture, so we all had a laugh. 

One of those days. 







Happy slicing,




4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for those few “fortunatelies!” You found the bright side. I hope you got another coffee at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that writing about your day helped you see it with the humor you convey? I hope so- one of the values of a writing habit! Your use of “one of those days” as title, middle and closing is a good move. I love the line “I decided to give myself ten minutes and six dollars”, not sure why! I guess its really relatable. You write well and build suspense, waiting to take the first sip. The choice of word ‘waterfall’ is perfect. The picture- I worry for your beautiful jacket/scarf as well! Great small moment writing. (This is FranMc, not anonymous- sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Franonymous, that line: "That coffee did not dribble. It waterfalled all over my white shirt," is a great (if sad) image. Sorry about the day, but glad for the slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. humbleswede, in case you didn't recognize the name.

      Delete