Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Slice of Life: A Joy Map

   It's Tuesday, and Tuesdays are for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


Yesterday, I got to give a series of presentations about the importance of joy in classrooms. As I spoke to various of groups of teachers, I could feel and see their joy emanating or growing... or not.  

In preparation for the day, I made a joy map-- have you ever made one? I love this map, and I will keep adding to it. There's' joy in knowing what beings joy. 


I have about a hundred slices from yesterday from the responses and some of the questions. Instead of elaborating on any of them in this post, I am starting a list that may be useful in March, which is coming up soon. 

7 comments:

  1. The quote at the website you provided says it all: "'The self is not something one finds – it is something one creates.'"
    Thomas Szasz, psychologist
    Thanks for sharing the map. I've been thinking (vacillating) about March...This will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In these times when many struggle to find joy, I can see having students create a joy map is an excellent source of writing topics. I wonder how students define joy. I’ve learned so much from black women scholars about finding joy in the midst of struggle. Wish I’d known it all when I was younger. I’m looking forward to more joy posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I love your joy map as an idea bank along the theme of joy to set some of your purposes for writing! I have been meaning to tell you that the journal you brought to the Slicer Meet Up in November has been quite a hit with my middle school writing group. There are 301 prompts, and they like picking a random number and thinking through the prompt as a way of talking through a topic. They can take that topic or reject it and write their own idea - or take someone else's prompt - and they love the gift. It's such an amazing writing resource. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of using this for writing inspiration, but also just as a source of reflection and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a joy map. (Joy was my OLW a couple of years ago, but I never made a map.)

    Speaking of joy, have you read Ingrid Fettell Lee's book, JOYFUL? If not, it's a MUST-READ! (She has a wonderful website, https://aestheticsofjoy.com/, that you should check out too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never made one. Love this idea Mel! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, joyful classrooms are the places to be. Keep on presenting on that and bring more joy into education, especially when there are so many stressors during a week.

    ReplyDelete