Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Slice of Life 2023: 1 of 31- Relieved to have a roof over my head!

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


I both remember and forget how March invites me to notice the moments in my day. Today, I didn't need a reminder. There's no way you don't notice when you almost burn the house down. It all comes with too much multi-taking. And you would think that on a snow day, I'd be able to resist multi-tasking. Isn't that the point of a snow day? There's nothing to do since you were supposed to be in school. For me, it didn't work like that today. 

Since we had the closure call last night, I created a list of things to get done on my day off. 

podcast work
a couple Peloton classes
some business work
a doctor appointment that ended up changed from the afternoon to the morning
a few phone calls
three zoom meetings
a letter to legislators about unfunded mandates
brushing the dog

The list continued, but the one thing I shouldn't have tried to fit in (but tried anyway) was waxing my legs. (I can admit that in this community since I believe this is my eleventh year, but it might be my twelfth.) Here was the multi-tasking mistake. While the wax was in the microwave, I went to work on an invoice, and I didn't keep an eye on the wax in the microwave. 

Usually, the wax takes three minutes. 
Usually, I stop and stir and start it a few times. 
Usually, I put it in with a paper towel around it. 

Today, I made a few mistakes. I hit the timer for three minutes without the system of stopping and stirring. And-- I didn't realize this-- I put it in there with the directions wrapped around the container, and not a paper towel. 
#mistake.

Who knew the print on the directions could catch fire? 

If you have ever wondered what it's like to use the fire extinguisher that's responsibly kept in the pantry, I can assure you that it works.

But it makes a mess!



My productivity was temporarily paused in order to clean up the mess I made. Fortunately, I was able to get back to my list without too much delay and with a roof over my head. 

Happy March 1! Here's to thirty more slices, but less dangerous ones. 






9 comments:

  1. Now this is quite a first slice! What will happen next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the many craft moves you use to tell this scary story in a comical way. First, the long list of things. It sets up why this happened. I love the use of a hashtag - #mistake. The repetition of Usually. And the matter of fact ending which includes the title. This reader is happy for your safety and may be purchasing a fire extinguisher for my pantry. Finally, so happy to have posted right before you today. Happy March!! Keep staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I'm glad that you did not burn down your house. The things we women do and the risks we take - - anything for smooth legs, right? Oh, I'm so glad you are okay and that you were able to clean up and move on with your day without (much) damage and mess. You also remind us of the importance of a kitchen fire extinguisher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe we chatted midday and you didn't tell me you almost burned the house down!
    That is something. Thank goodness the fire extinguisher worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ThelifeofamomteacherandwifeMarch 1, 2023 at 1:53 PM

    Oh my goodness! At first, I thought the white in the picture was the wax, not the foam from the extinguisher! Glad you were prepared and acted quickly. We're all guilty of multi-tasking fails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!! I mean, all's well that ends well but this is a shocking start to the month--and obviously a strong sliceable moment. I'm so glad there was minimal damage and mess and you were able to move on with your day. I especially enjoyed how this slice intertwines reflection and commentary with the description of the event itself, moving us effortlessly between being in the moment and your perspective and good humor afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lordy. At first I forgot you'd put the fire extinguisher to use and thought it was ASH!! Glad it's not lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That is quite the start to the day! Hope it got better from there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great build up and we have all been there and done something similar! A few Friday nights ago, WE made a pizza, but WE failed to turn off the oven or check to make certain the oven was off. Not looking forward to that electric bill!

    ReplyDelete