Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Slice of Life: A Quick Jump in the Ocean

 

  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


"Anyone want to ride a bike and take a quick swim with me?" I ask. 

It's the last day of July, the day when summer is beyond its midway point, and thoughts of the school year creep into my daily routines. 

I have no takers. Larkin is getting ready for an on-line meeting, Amy and Julia are heading for a workout, and Jack has a list of chores. 

I shrug and head for the beach alone. It's a little over a mile, and I pass a few dogwalkers, gardeners, and joggers. We all say hello. It's that sort of a morning. 

I park the bike, the only one, and I imagine its surprise at its lack of company. Usually, it's hard to find a place for a bike along the wall, and sometimes I lean the rusty frame against the cluster of beach roses. 

The waves have a rhythm this morning, a welcome change from the churning surf that chiseled out parts of the beach over the weekend. The red seaweed, another unwelcome weekend guest, has also moved along. Clear water, so clear I can see my feet on the sand grains, welcomes me, and its temperature is about the same as the air. It's easy to talk myself into the ocean this morning. A wave breaks at my waist, one I consider diving through, but its break is gentle, barely offering a ride to shore. I walk a little further, then dolphin-dive. I float on my back, watching the distant walkers along the beach. 

Back on my bike, riding home, I'm ready to tackle my work tasks of the day. 

6 comments:

  1. Melanie, I'm right there with you in the wave, drifting along in the water, trying not to think about all the things I should be doing but instead investing a little time in self-care and nurturing the soul. Your slice blends in the rich imagery and appeals to all the senses. I can even smell the salt breeze and those roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your slice has suh a peaceful tone! Wish I could have been in the room and said, "Sure, I'll come along for a bike ride and a swim!" I have been thinking of you as it was you I sat with to learn from Sonya and Tricia at NCTE. Last week I had the pleasure of learning from them both at IREL23 in D.C. Such a great Institute!! Think about coming next year. I plan to return to learn more from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you experience a difficult moment at school... think back to dolphin diving and floating in the ocean...and let the peacefulness envelop you. I can tell you are glad you went for that swim, even if you had to go alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,
    This truly is a slice, a brief moment, a micro story in my mind. I need to write more of these little moments. Love thinking about the beach, the ride, the moment in nature. Perfect. I’m so sad summer is on her way out, but I do love fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the mood that takes your reader into your beautiful, calm summer morning. I notice the personification; the bike is surprised, the unwelcome guest seaweed has moved along, the clear water welcomes you. All these pull the reader into the place in a special way. I also like the way your short opening and closing lines, with their common day-to-day business, frame the contemplative interior of your piece. And my favorite line is “It’s easy to talk myself into the ocean this morning.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, what a beautifully peaceful morning and slice of your life you have shared here. Gorgeous. I love the sound of: "a welcome change from the churning surf that chiseled out parts of the beach over the weekend." Lovely.

    ReplyDelete