Sunday, March 3, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 3 of 31- Thoughts on What Mothers and Daughters Do

   It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  



As Larkin and I walked along the sidewalk, we both laughed as a little girl, 
a semi-novice walker, traipsed along. 
She was adorable-- intent on one foot in front of the other
 and the song she was singing. 
We were both watching as she caught a foot and banged to the ground. 
Her initial reaction sounded more like a laugh than a cry (it was a cry), 
and her mother was quick to scoop her up and reassure her that she was fine. 

Mothers do that.

With the temperature reaching almost 60 degrees, 
Larkin and I continued our walk from the shopping areas to the lake. 
As we navigated the bike paths and the crosswalks, 
there were a couple of times when she grabbed my arm. 

Daughters do that. 

And I'm grateful. 

9 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful; so poignant. What a beautiful way to start my Sunday. I love the mother/daughter thing. (Also, I'm using your idea of commenting on at least the 3 people directly above or below my post. A great system. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. So glad you're getting time together. And I like the structure of this piece a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the structure of this- so simple yet lovely. I have one daughter home this week and one next week so I am trying to soak in the moments. The icing will be the two day overlap with them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful for my mother too! Lovely slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS is just lovely. You are one smart momma who is noticing and documenting these wonderful interactions that screamlove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I love the way you brought it full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, Melanie. What a wonderful relationship you and Larkin have. I was not blessed with children of my own, but I "mother" my 87-year old mom more and more these days, and relish our time together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the watching of the mother, and the being the mother. Beautiful noticings.

    ReplyDelete