Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 5 of 31- A memorable birdie

 It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  


***For Larkin's funnier version of this story, I recommend reading her recount of this same event. ***

I was a little surprised that the man in the pro shop didn't ask if Larkin and I both had clubs since it was definitely an issue yesterday when we showed up with only one bag of clubs. But yesterday was Sunday (presumably busier), we kept right up, and Mel, the man in the shop had told us not to worry about it since it was so early in the season. 

However, Frank the starter had an entirely different approach. 
"We really require all players to have their own clubs," he said to me, sounding more like my study hall proctor than he'd sounded during the friendly banter that he'd been having with Bill, the man who would be joining Larkin and me for our golfing round. 
Frank continued in lecture-like style about the importance of not holding other golfers up and expectations of play. Larkin had to walk away, and I wasn't surprised. Golf courses can be tough places for women, and she's spent a lot of time dealing with men who are shocked when it takes them two shots to pass her one drive. 
My explanation that I was visiting from Connecticut didn't carry much weight with Frank. 
"We have rentals," he said. 
"I'll make sure we do that next time," I said, sounding much more compliant than I felt. 
"You should play best ball or something," he said. 
"We'll be sure to keep up with the pace of play," I said. 

Maybe my golf lingo appeased him. He headed back to the starter box. 

After Bill hit an average drive from the men's tees, I asked Larkin if she wanted to go first. 
"I'm too mad," she said, smiling, but flushed. "I'm taking a few breaths first."

With a bit of relief, I watched my drive go straight down the fairway-- not as far as I would have liked, but respectable, for sure. Then Larkin took her turn on the tee box. I could tell she meant business from her practice swings. They were faster and harder than usual. 

"Look out," I might have said out loud. I don't think Bill had picked up on all that was going on between Frank and the girls. 

Larkin's drive rarely disappoints me, but this one was particularly impressive. In fact, it almost scared me because it came close to the golfer who were ahead of us, probably a 250 yard drive right down the middle of the fairway. For those of you who aren't sure about distances on golf courses, this one was far. 

Larkin didn't look to see if Frank had been watching, but I did, and yes, he had been watching. I resisted the urge to reiterate that we'd keep pace. 

While Larkin has plenty of birdies in her golfing history as evidenced by her birdie pose in the picture below (I would have no idea how to do that pose), this one was probably the sweetest and most memorable. 



7 comments:

  1. Great storytelling from your perspective; the details “study hall proctor” and back and forth dialogue really built up to the final moment. The birdie pic is the icing on this cake. Headed over to read her version! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! For so many reasons. And you capture this moment so well. Honestly I can see your compliant-not-at -all planning-to-be-compliant response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect Girl Power slice to read during March, National Women's Month. Go Larkin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl power! Adi came home peeved today because they’re prepping for some sort of assessment in pe. The boys have to write 18 laps. The girls have to run 7. Adi ran 27 today to show her teacher that she can. You go girls! ❤️Jess

      Delete
  4. Haaaa that picture is hilarious. I love comparing the similarities/ differences between what we noticed and what we chose to include. The ping pong dialogue between you and 'Frank' is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not only a great story well told but also a lesson for the ages. Love it when women's power is spectacularly revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl friends!! I think she was hitting that well because the bag says my name, personally. It's like I was there with you :)

    ReplyDelete