Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Slice of Life: A Game of Catch

   On Tuesdays, Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life. Everyone is welcome to share writing and comment on others in this special community. 

  

 

I walked down the hall this afternoon to check my mailbox, and I overheard an interaction between a teacher and a student. The kind that sometimes happens at the end of the day, maybe more often toward the end of the week than  on a Tuesday. The kind that happens when a student says or does one more thing than frayed teacher nerves can handle. I didn't mean to hear or listen. I just did. 

When I walked back toward my office, a student-- my guess was the nerve-frayer-- was in the hall bouncing a tennis ball against the wall. I stopped and tossed it back and forth with him. I'm not sure I should have. Was it positive reinforcement for bad behavior? Maybe. But he's a kid I've watched move through the grades worrying teachers. 

We kept tossing the ball back and forth, and he was impressed with the different ways I could catch. He's a wide receiver on the football team, and I think he's pretty good, so his compliments meant something. Catching's important to him. He's been in trouble a lot with his dad, so he was worried about the call home that his teacher had promised before she had him leave class and hang out in the hallway. We talked about whether he might be in less trouble if he broke the news to his dad before the phone rang. He thought maybe. 

Tonight I'm thinking about him. Tomorrow, I'll check in. 

3 comments:

  1. These are the interactions that kids need. The ones where the teacher is just there, no judgement, no questioning, just there. You were put there for a reason and you'll check in tomorrow because you care. Thanks for being that teacher and sharing your experience with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, rules. What a bright spot in his day it must have been to play catch with a teacher in the hall for a few moments, to be seen in that playful, nonjudgmental way. When he had to anticipate lots of judgement at home and always at school. And on the football field. I think a moment of play was a powerful connection and i hope it reverberates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post tugged at my heartstrings. You saw him and gave him something to think about. I hope he went home and said something prior to the phone call.

    ReplyDelete