Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Slice of Life: Hoping to Remain Anonymous

 On Tuesdays, Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life. Everyone is welcome to share writing and comment on others in this special community. 

  

 


I'm always happy to meet with teachers and talk about writing. I am not as happy to navigate the parking lots any of the elementary schools at drop-off time. Usually I park strategically when I have before-school meetings, but I forgot about that wise strategy yesterday morning. Yes, I've been at this work for several (okay, maybe more than several) years, but it was my first before-school meeting this year, and I was catching up with a friend when I pulled into the school. Those are two good excuses. 

In any case, it could have been that every child in the school was a drop-off yesterday morning, so backing out of my parking spot involved people walking behind me, cars pulling along between them, and an occasional car trying to snake by the line of child-dropping-off-mobiles. Not a good combination. I quarter-inched out, checking my rear-view mirror, the back-up camera, and swiveling all the way around, as well, until I finally had room to pull forward and not knick the car next to me. Going forward felt much safer, until... 

As I concentrated on not hitting any stray pedestrians, I didn't pay attention to the bus that was crossing my path to head to the bus drop-off on the other side of the school. In any other driving situation, the right of way was mine, so I was surprised at his left turn in front of me, his (very) loud and long horn directed at me, and his angry hand gestures that continued even after I mouthed and demonstrated a sincere apology. I'm hoping the children on the bus weren't also surprised at the words their driver may have uttered. 

I'm still waiting for one of those bus riders to approach me in a hallway! Hopefully, I'll make it through the week, and that dumb car driver will maintain anonymity. 


4 comments:

  1. Why is it, one feels guilty when doing the right thing? I'd feel the same way, avoiding the bully bus driver. When actually, the bus driver needs to show change and show a better example to his riders and the drivers around them. Personally, I long for a day when I no longer need to drive. Ready for walkable-town living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we have all had this feeling and you capture it so perfectly with your title and theme of hoping to be anonymous. I can feel myself slinking away (even though it wasn’t your/my fault!)
    Your piece also reminds me of a weird value of writing small moments. This reveals a real stressor of daily life- parking decisions, parking maneuvers- that we all forget we make constantly.
    Finally, I like the undercurrent of humility and humor in how you wrote this piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you stay anonymous in the halls of your school!
    That said, this was an awesome story. Sounds a bit like the pickup at A's school.

    ReplyDelete