Monday, September 2, 2024

Slice of Life: A New Project

On Tuesdays, Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life. Everyone is welcome to share writing and comment on others in this special community. 

  

 

Last week, I started a new knitting project. Usually, I'm pretty good with interpreting directions. Usually, I can envision how the piece should look. Usually, I cast on and get started... 

This new project did NOT follow my "usuallys". 

For my first try, I cast on, recognizing exactly where Jojo, the designer, was describing. But, I did not have the stitch markers she called for. No problem, Jojo, I thought to myself. I know what pearls and knits look like. I don't need those markers. 

Turns out I did. 

For my second try, I cast on, added the markers, and thought I understood how to wrap and turn from the youtube video I watched several times. And I watched another video on how to do end end-of-row cast-on. I completed a few rows, but it did not look the way I knew it should, and the numbers weren't coming out right. Knitting is a mathematical activity. 

For my third try---yes... my THIRD try... I called for help. My neighbor, Ellyn, is my go-to person for putting completed projects together. She's always said to call her if I have questions, and I've always been good at figuring things out. For my third try, Ellyn stood by as my knitting coach. 

Together, the two of us deciphered Jojo's directions, and Ellyn went home, but even then, the numbers were off. So yes, I pulled it all out YET AGAIN, and started over. 

My fourth take is well on its way.


An experienced knitter may spot a mistake, but I'm not telling where it is, and no one will spot it in the finished project. 

Life lessons always emerge from knitting projects-- it's incredible to make something where you have literally touched every single stitch, and it's an activity that always helps me justify car rides, TV shows, or sitting around, especially important this year since my one little word is time. 

Hoping there will be no more needs to rip and start again! 





3 comments:

  1. I don't knit but I can still imagine the feeling of having to try and retry to get it to work. Your efforts are time well spent. Can't wait to see the final project! Go Melanie, Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    I hope you show us the finished project. I’m always amazed by those who knit. I definitely see the lessons but not the mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE well on your way to creating something beautiful, Melanie.
    I've always wanted to learn how to knit. Someday...
    I started needlepointing again this past winter. I didn't pick it up once all summer, so maybe that's something I should do again. Maybe I'll bring it to one of Ari's baseball games with me.

    ReplyDelete