Thursday, March 15, 2018

Slice of Life 2018: 15 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 

This slice is brought to you by Okie, our 18 month-old lab. 
He has very different feelings about the snow that I do!


Dear Melanie,

I'm not sure why you don't like this snow. I think it's great. It could be that these days with snowstorms are my favorites. First and foremost, I love that you stay home. You stay in your pajamas and hang out at the kitchen table reading, writing, and petting me. You keep your slippers on, and those might be my favorite things. (I really am sorry I chewed the laces. They were impossible to resist.) I like going to work with Garth and all that, but I prefer hanging out with all my toys, my big backyard, and...you.

I don't think you'd agree, but the last storm was even more fun than this one because there were huge branches down right in the middle of the yard. You know me--if we go for a walk, I like to find the very biggest stick I can carry and keep it with us along the trail. How great was it that the biggest sticks--branches even!--were right in my own yard?! I tried to help you carry them to the trailor, and you didn't seem to appreciate my help. 

I'd also think you'd like it because I run aound so much in that I'm exhausted. You sometimes say that I'm a better dog when I've had a really good walk, and this running around in snow thing is better than the longest walk, for sure. I love when you throw it for me--although I can't figure out why I can never find the snowballs--they seem to disappear wherever they land--and I love when you throw my ball and I have to find it. Sometimes the snow gets up my nose, but I don't care!

I really am sorry you don't enjoy the snow as much as I do. It seems like it's a lot of work for all of you with the driveway-clearing and shoveling and all. Maybe you could just leave the snow wherever it falls, stay home and play with me. Maybe during the next storm you'll try to romp around in it like I do! It could be a much better way to deal with this fabulous white stuff known as snow!

Love,
Okie


6 comments:

  1. I love this - what a great structure. I wonder how it would work for poetry -- rather than talk to the object write the object (or animal) a letter. His voice was priceless - I could see and hear him. My dog agrees with us --she is little and her fur catches the snow. She turns into a literal snowball when we go out. She agrees about me being home in my PJs!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Okie! I've been thinking about letting Cyrus write about his take on this road trip we're taking. Fran's dog inspired me, and now, you. Stay tuned! And by the way, Cyrus loves the snow, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! The perspective and reflection on the many things he has done made me laugh. Okie and Charley have lots in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letters from Okie -- You know this is a picture book, right?
    (See what I did to you there, my friend?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Okie,
    Summer is just around the corner. Soon you'll have Melanie -- and the rest of your family -- to yourself every day. Sure, they'll be busy. But I have a feeling you'll find yourself enjoying the sand at the beach as much as you like the snow.
    Hugs,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the letter from Okie to you! I might have to incorporate a letter from my cats to me soon! :) What a great exercise in perspective

    ReplyDelete