Saturday, March 24, 2018

Slice of Life 2018- 25 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 



My newsfeed and social media websites are full of images, videos, and reactions to the Walks for our Lives that happened today across the country, and they should be. When my youngest daughter asked if we could go to the March in Hartford on Friday night, I said I'd take her. We made signs, and I ignored the nagging voice inside of me that wanted to tell me how much I dislike crowds and traffic and finding parking spots (oh my--). 

At first, I wondered why I was there. We were in a cluster of people in the middle of Bushnell Park, randomly chanting, listening in on conversations, and sharing the message on the sign Cecily held. 


Once we moved to the front of the capital and listened to the speeches, it became about so much more. Tyler Suarez, a student at the University of Bridgeport, ran the event from the steps. His aunt, Dawn Hochsprung, was the principal of Sandy Hook who was killed in December of 2011. He was eloquent, passionate, and poised in front of thousands of people. He even played guitar and sang a song he and Dawn's father wrote in her memory.

Many adults and politicians spoke as well, but the ones I'll remember were Isabella Segall, a student from Wilton and founder of Connecticut Teens Against Gun Violence. Her message about wanting to grow up was powerful and haunting. Her fear of walking into school and not walking back out was the backbone of a strong speech with a strong message.



I had moments of tearing up as references were made to Sandy Hook--I know I'll never get over that day in my state--but when Erica Lafferty, Dawn's daughter, took the mic and spoke about her mother, I was full out crying. I'd almost gotten myself back together when I met a close friend whose mother had insisted on coming. "My mom has a really good sign," Mary Lee said. Her mom turned around so that I could see her sign. "They're my twelve grandchildren," she said. My tears came right back.



I'm proud and hopeful when I see and hear our young people rise up and speak out, but Erica reminded all of us that this is a marathon and not a sprint. She stated that there'd be more school shootings--I wish she weren't right--but we have to keep fighting, keep pressing for change, vote out politicians who don't support gun control. 

Cecily and I had a good conversation after the event about why we went and what we can do next. We'll keep doing. I just wish we didn't have to. 



12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences so eloquently. I find myself wondering how we came to this place in our country and how we will emerge. Events like yesterday's marches inspire hope but yes, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not go to an event yesterday so appreciate your post -- giving me a glimpse into what you experienced. I saw my niece who marched in Boston yesterday. She said it was also great. Something you and your daughter will likely always remember.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my eyes, Melanie. A passionate piece that will touch all your readers. The signs, the speeches, the memories. As an educator for over 40 years, I am saddened by the violence that has occurred in our nation's schools. I think the youth of America will change things for the better. I sincerely hope they all get the chance to grow up and change the gun laws in our country. This special day will be something you and your daughter will always remember. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last line says it all: “We’ll keep doing...” I glad you went to the march and shared your thoughts. The signs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was inspired by the turnout and passion of marchers across the country yesterday. You are right, this is as much about what happens next. We have to keep the conversation going. I'd love to hear what the two of you decided might be your next steps. Sometimes it's good we fight that little voice inside us and step out of our comfort zone. I'm sure your daughter will forever remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post about an important day. I'm happy that you were able to share this with Cecily. I am certain she will never forget your day together and hopefully we won't have to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I attended the March in Boston. So your words: "At first, I wondered why I was there" resonated with me. I was so moved that my one little slice today barely scratches the surface of all the emotion I felt. Still raw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I marched in portland, OR yesterday. My emotions swung from smiles and elation to tears and sadness. You captured the feel of your march beautifully. I was especially impressed by the teen organizers; they give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your images and thoughts, Melanie. The emotions you felt came through in such a strong way, bringing tears to my eyes as well. The youth of our country fill us with hope! Thank you to you and your daughter for being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After I went to the women’s march last year, I realized the crowds are too much for me. Thanks for your view, it’s all so sad and the kids are so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe of the passion and power the students are demonstrating. I am so sorry this is how they have discovered their strength. What a great example you are for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel,
    I am disappointed I didn't make it to our local march. As I read the post adn watch the videos I am in awe. These students demonstrate amazing strength and passion. This isn't done, you are correct.

    ReplyDelete