Saturday, March 17, 2018

Slice of Life 2018: 17 of 31

For the month of March, I am participating in the Eleventh Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. That means that I am writing every day for the month of March in the good company of the Two Writing Teachers community. 

"Why don't you just shovel the driveway?" a friend asked me last Monday afternoon. 

We were expecting 5-10 inches of snow, and my husband is in Florida with two of our daughters. 

One of my life goals has been NOT to learn how to use his new snowblower. I believe that I wrote a slice about breaking the old one in a previous March challenge. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see the old one behind the shiny new TORO. If you look even more closely, you might notice that one of the cords has duct tape around it. That was my handiwork. Yep. That was me. I thought the cord was a starter and kept pulling until it broke. (I wish he'd just throw that old one out so I don't have to keep feeling bad!)


In any case, I got the new one filled up with gas, I started it without breaking it, and I got the driveway done. 


As I said to my mother afterwards, "It's not a Garth job, but it will do."

Garth and the girls came home on Thursday--I might have figured out a way to stay in Florida if I were them-- and they were impressed. I didn't tell them that there really wasn't much snow. 

I also didn't tell them that I kind of liked doing it. 

Happy slicing,




11 comments:

  1. Hats off. The snowblower intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have life goals of NOT learning how to do things. I felt that way about the riding lawnmower when I lived in the country ages and ages ago. I was determined NOT to learn. And I can no longer remember why I had to do it, but I did, and it turned out that I kind of liked doing it! I enjoyed the photos here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post of a risk-taker! One fear-inducing challenge taken on and conquered; who knows what you'll do next? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. I love the idea of a task we don't want to do, then the satisfaction of doing it and succeeding!
    I had to learn how to run the snowblower when Stephen started traveling when the boys were little... I did it for one winter,then hired a plow guy! The one thing I won't learn is the lawn mower... however I have noticed how frequently he mows the lawn so I think there may be something to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely keep the last one a secret! I am totally fine with my husband and boys taking on the snow jobs!! I would be too afraid to use the snowblower - well done!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m truly impressed. I think everyone in my house secretly shares your goal as we have a ginormous three year old snowthrower that has never touched snow. (And I’m not likely to be the one to BREAK it in!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh as you described the broken blower and why. That would be me too. I continue to not know a thing about the snow blower and have very limited knowledge of the lawnmower. I plan to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive job w/ the snow blower. I'm content to leave that task to my husband but will shovel occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that we should not have girl jobs and boy jobs. But, that said, I do not take out the trash or mow the lawn. Nope, never will. I'm proud of you for doing the manwork! Gloat a little!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol, NEVER admit to liking it! I love this line: "One of my life goals has been NOT to learn how to use his new snowblower." My husband likes to tease me and say he bought the snowblower for me, and it even has headlights and hand warmers. I used it once, but had a neighbor start it for me! It cracked me up that you broke the last one by pulling the cord! And listen, your husband was probably really glad to buy a new one so stop feeling guilty! Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowblowers are super fun to use! And don't be ashamed to use them when there isn't much snow - at least then the "price per use" goes down a bit more . . . I love that you embed pictures in your Slices and vow to do more of that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete