Sunday, March 10, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 10 of 31- Subbing in Sixth Grade

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

A lot of teachers called out sick on Friday. As the district's writing coordinator, I am occasionally asked to teach writing classes when teachers are out, especially when they're out for extended times, but Friday was one of the first times I've been asked to cover a class for the day. 

The first request was to cover a kindergarten class for the morning. Could I do that? Ummm... of course. (Sidenote: I have more respect for kindergarten teachers than any others, and I have a bit of a fear of their students. I am fairly certain that one of the toughest things to do in our profession is to walk a class of kindergarten students from one end of the building to another in September.) Fortunately, my colleague and friend who was also on the coverage request text knows me well enough to know that kindergarten is not my jam. Since 6th grade was the other option, she offered to trade. 

Yes, please, I practically shouted into the text. (Sharyl may get cookies on Monday.)

For the most part, I managed. The devils's in the details, so the things like lunch counts and attendance and getting the computer up and running set off hot flashes for me. (Did you know that stress brings on hot flashes? I'm sure that all I've learned about hot flashes will be an upcoming slice, but I digress...)

And for the most part, I enjoyed the students. Sixth-graders are tricky, but in a whole different way than kindergartners. One girl took me on when I asked her to be less chatty during what was supposed to be independent reading time. 

"Why are you singling me out?" O. wanted to know. "The boys at that table are also talking."

If you ever want to get a class of middle school students to be quiet, get into a scuffle with one of them. It's fascinating how quickly they all stop talking to listen to the interaction. O. and I went back and forth, and I have to say, I admired her ability to stand up for herself. Whatever I said in that interaction must have satisfied her a little because she dropped it and picked up her book, perhaps with an eye roll, and I resumed the work I was doing with the boys in front of her. 

When I finished with the boys, I sat down next to O., and she resumed her attitude until she internalized what I said to her. 

"Mad respect for you," I said. "It's National Women's Day, and you are a strong woman who stands up for herself, and I respect that."

I'm pretty sure she was waiting for the but. But I didn't have one for her. 

"You and I can be friends." 

We went on to talk about how hard it is to read and concentrate in a room full of people. Honestly, it would have to be a REALLY good book for me to be able to pay more attention to the print than the social interactions. 

Thanks for helping out today, the principal texted. 

I enjoyed it, I replied. 

And I actually did. 


8 comments:

  1. 6th grade was the highest grade I've taught before I scuttled back down to 4th. Mad respect for your Friday subbing there. :) They're so lovely individually, but can be so challenging in bigger group situations. If only they just didn't have to go through the massive developmental phase of puberty. (Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the interaction you shared with O, and your comment to her. I imagine it will linger with her for a long time. You stood your ground, but acknowledged hers as well. Well done! I also loved your parenthetical asides. Kudos to you for taking this on with such a positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like we could have a god discussion about subbing. I taught 4th and 5th grades for 36 years, but now, as a para (my idea of semi-retiring!), I do a lot of subbing. Last week I was 5th grade on Monday, 2nd on Wednesday, and 4th on Friday. It's a very different experience to be in a room and have much less...umm...power...authority...relationship...etc. Some days it's fun, others...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is timely as our coverage was so bad on Friday that I was in third grade. It was a writing lesson and after all my years teaching literacy, I could not understand the teacher's plans, and you would think they might listen better when the Principal is subbing?! I'm sure she will come back Monday and wonder what we did! I'd take Kindergarten over sixth though. Finally, once again you connected and that's what always matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixth grade in the springtime (I'm including early March as the springtime even though it isn't.) is challenging. I subbed in sixth grade the June before I started teaching. OHMYGOSH... challenging! But the kids are awesome. The back-and-forth you can have with them is incredible.
    I once read an article that said Kindergarten teachers should make $300,000/year since the foundation kids get in Kindergarten lasts for a lifetime. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sixth grade - taught it for years … but subbing in middle school is a whole different ballgame than having your own class. I love the conversation you had with O. I bet she remembers that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Substitute teaching in K, or anything above 5 would definitely bring on stress-induced hot flashes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K or 6th? Tough choice! It sounds like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete