Thursday, March 21, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 21 of 31- Find My Devices helped me out!

  It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

I walk in from work, relieved to be home a little on the early side and happy to make myself a cup of coffee and sit down to answer some lingering emails. Maybe I'd also get a report finished that has been taking up space on my to-do list. Java in hand, I reached into my bag for my computer. Where was it? I set the coffee down and got more serious about my search for my handy-dandy MacBook Air. It's thin, so sometimes it can hide within a folder and papers. My workbag usually starts off its week without too many extras, but by Wednesday afternoon, the clutter is building. Where is that computer? By the third time through the bag, I'm worried, and by the seventeenth time through the bag, I'm cursing myself. Where is that computer? 

One of the hazards of being the district's writing coach is that I'm in all the schools, and I'm constantly leaving stuff. Usually it's a piece of clothing. My water bottle has spent many evenings in strange rooms. And writing supplies frequently find new owners. But my computer? This is a first. 

I think back to where I've been. I did not even bring my bag into the last school; I had only run in to give students their writing contest prizes. It wouldn't be there. I text the teacher from the school before then. 

Can you check if I left my computer? It would be on the back table. 

As I wait for her response, I start doing the math. That's the farthest away school. Eighteen minutes there. Eighteen minutes back. I'd just barely make it back for a Zoom meeting that's on my calendar. I swear. FML. So much for sitting and having a little down time and coffee before the next onslaught of evening responsibilities. 

Still no response from the teacher. Wait. Did I have my computer out when I was at that school? I can't remember. And then...why didn't I think of this before... I open the app on my phone. Find My Devices. 

Isn't technology the best when it works? My computer was showing up at the school BEFORE the farthest-away school which was the CLOSEST to my house. 

I left my coffee on the counter, drove over, picked up my computer, and laughed at myself with the teacher. And, by the time I got home, my coffee was still hot, and I had time to answer emails, finish a report, and even solve connections before my Zoom meeting. 

5 comments:

  1. I could feel the increase in panic and imagine you looking through your bag over and over again. I know this feeling. I could also imagine the computer wedged between the contents of your overstuffed bag. This is making me think I should clean my bag out today…or soon! Glad you found it with time to spare. ❤️Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof, glad it all worked out relatively painlessly! Your story built the drama of a busy life well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this could SO be me--including FINALLY remembering the very handy Find My Devices feature! Such a well-crafted slice that pulls us fully into the moment and keeps us on the edge of our seat wondering with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Proud of you for using technology to find your technology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also impressed. That shows way more technological prowess than turning on the television.

    ReplyDelete