Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 12 of 31- The Trouble With Televisions

 It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

It's spring break for many college students, and my husband agreed on a father-daughter getaway for the week with Daughter#4, the only one left in college, leaving me home alone. There are many aspects of home alone I will enjoy. However, my entire family would have predicted and laughed at my struggles with the remote and the television. 

All day, I looked forward to watching the UConn women's basketball team take on Georgetown. When I got home at 7:10, I had some self-talking to do, encouraging myself to follow the steps and directions left for me. 

Home screen.

Live TV.  (Or was it the app I was supposed to use?)

Live TV. Sports. Fox Sports. 

What? There were a lot of Fox Sports. And none of them were showing the game. 

The Huskies App. Maybe. Nope. Didn't work. 

A different provider? Not part of our subscription. Contact provider. 

Back to the home screen. 

Repeat these steps. Several times. Add in a few expletives. 

 At least I could see the live stats of the basketball game, and I knew it wasn't a great game. UConn was winning by a lot. Then, I got a text from someone I've been working with. Did I have a minute to talk? 

Yes. Yes, I do. I'd VERY much prefer a conversation about a topic I'm relatively smart about instead of continuing to wage a battle with the dumb television. 

By the time I got off the phone, the game was almost over, and The Bachelor was underway. How do you think I did with getting ABC livestreamed on the television? Nope. Not happening. But I can watch it just fine on my computer and even write a slice at the same time. 


And look: I know exactly how the basketball game went. Who needs the television? 


Update: Daughter #2 just called and is giggling at my TV incompetence. 

4 comments:

  1. You capture all the stpes needed now to watch on a screen. (I almost typed "watch TV" but is that what it is now!). I made an anchor chart of steps for my mother when I installed her Roki and YouTube TV. She can follow the steps. However, she constantly is adding closed caption and I realize, I need to make her another chart of steps to remove them as she finds the words annoying. So many steps. You capture your frustration so well in this slice. Glad you could confirm the team win on your computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facetime exists. Asking for help exists!! Call me next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you didn't miss much in the game. The struggle/slice sounds like one I could have written. Other than Netflix, there is not much else I can figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lord. You know what you need? A voice to text remote. Just pick it up, hold a button, and tell it what to do... tell Dad to get on that.

    ReplyDelete