Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 27 of 31- High Lanterns

  It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

I loved Jess Carey's post today about holding the lantern high. When I first started reading it, I was ready to text her and connect about Tom Lake since I finished the book over the weekend. But her post wasn't really about the book at all. Instead it is more about mentors and leaders and nurturers... those people in our lives who figuratively hold the lanterns high, providing safe pathways but only if we're looking up, maybe even higher than our comfort zone. 

There are a couple of school leaders who I admire because they hold high lanterns for teachers, and I sent the post to one of them. She wrote back right away. "I can name the lanterns in my life." As I thought about her response, I thought about what a powerful discussion it could be with teachers in the building about who are or have been their lanterns, what made them effective, and how they can be lanterns. I'm sure there is more that could be woven into that sort of a discussion. 

Throughout the day, I've thought about the people who have held lanterns for me in my life. My first principal was a powerful one. He asked hard questions. He posed authentic wonders. He celebrated. He appreciated, even admired, vulnerability. He made it safe to take risks. I cried in his office. The work was hard, and the learning curve was steep. 

Professionally, he was the best lantern holder I've ever had. I can't go back and create lantern holders in later parts of my career, but Jess's post has me thinking about how I can be a better lantern holder for teachers in my reach. Am I holding my lantern high enough? How can I lead better and, like my first principal did, keep the path safe but purposeful? How do I balance the height of the lantern with the stability of the ground? How do I pay enough attention to the people I'm with in order to adjust the height. 

And maybe, the most important question for me at this stage in my life is how do I coach/nudge/remind my four daughters to find and cherish lantern holders in their lives?

It's late now, and it's been a busy day, so I haven't gotten to think about all of this as much as I want to. Writing will help me to continue processing. Maybe a daughter will read this and we'll talk about it as well. Maybe someone else will bring it up to think about. Much gratitude to Jess for inspiring me to return to Ann Patchett's powerful dedication to Kate DiCamillo. 

7 comments:

  1. I just shared your slice with my friend Carolyn who first wrote about the lantern holders. Ripple effect. I love how you’re thinking about your impact. You’ve got me thinking more too. ❤️Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been thinking about this powerful post and the idea of holding lanterns . I have also been lucky to have some great lantern holders in my life, and I have also been thinking about how I can be a better lantern holder. These questions you ask are really pushing my thinking - Am I holding my lantern high enough? How can I lead better and, like my first principal did, keep the path safe but purposeful? How do I balance the height of the lantern with the stability of the ground? How do I pay enough attention to the people I'm with in order to adjust the height? Thank you both, Jess and Melanie, for being lantern holders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for inspiring me to go and read the lanterns post. Oh my goodness - the people who come to mind who have lit my path with glowing lanterns are so numerous. These path lighters for me have been there in some form at various stages throughout my life. My first principal was a lantern holder, my good friend who helped guide me through a horrible divorce was a lantern holder, and members of this very community and who create spaces for writing communities are lantern holders too! Thank you for the nudge to be reflective and to carry forth the light for others. Kim Johnson (it has me as anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Jess's post before reading yours, and my comment is literally saying how I'm looking for my lanterns while also hoping to be one. You are a fabulous lantern for me, and I cherish that immensely if I don't say so enough! It's weird to think that even those who might have been bad lantern holders have huge effects too; it's an important thought to remember that you are always having an impact whether you intend to or not. All goes back to kindness and awareness in my mind (at this young age at least).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess's post inspired me, too. I really appreciate how you share and extend the thinking about it here. I've been looking back to consider who has held the lantern for me - and I like how you describe this as "providing safe pathways but only if we're looking up, maybe even higher than our comfort zone." I am also wondering now how I can be a more intentional lantern holder. It really is a wonderful image; thanks for continuing to explore it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this question you posed: "How do I balance the height of the lantern with the stability of the ground? " So powerful, and beautifully articulated. That's for keeping us thinking about this idea of lantern holders. There's so much packed into that image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of the times it isn't until I've lost a lantern holder that I realize what an important lantern holder they were - sometimes when things just feel hard it's tricky for me to notice and appreciate my mentors. I'd like to pay more attention to this

    ReplyDelete