Sunday, March 31, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 31 of 31- Time well spent

 It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

 

Last night was a big event in our house. We live in Connecticut, and we had an important double-header to watch! Some of you may have gotten to know Clare over the month, and she was sitting next to me on the sofa. During a commercial, she opened her computer and was typing like crazy. 

"What are you doing?" I asked. 

"Slicing," she answered. 

Of course she was. We had just had an interaction that we had agreed was totally sliceworthy. By the end of the commercial break (okay, maybe a couple of commercial breaks), she had posted her capture of the family scene, outing me once again (she's done that a few times over the month) for losing my patience while giving directions. (Important backstory: I've been in healing mode, and sometimes it's harder to tell people how to do things than it is to do it myself. It's the control thing I work to manage...another post one day.) After telling the pizza-making team multiple times to cut the dough and having them question me, I added an expletive to the direction. Sometimes expletives are necessary. Clare had a loaded squirt gun next to her for barking dog management, and she squirted...me!

One of the aspects I love about slicing in life is living life over again. Moments, possibly fleeting and forgettable, bask in the spotlight of a slice, captured in this community. Family interactions wind with reflections and even future conversations, securing higher probability of permanent memories, a probability that seems like it's becoming less and less probable as I feel more and more forgetful. 

My One Little Word for 2024 is time, and so far it's been a good one. I've loved the time I've spent writing my slices this year. I've loved reading other people's slices, and I will make time to read what I've written in past years to fill the void I'll feel tomorrow when I wake up and don't reach for my computer and the Two Writing Teachers tab. 

Thank you to all of you who have been part of my community this month. Every slice and comment feel like time well spent. 


8 comments:

  1. This line - Moments, possibly fleeting and forgettable, bask in the spotlight of a slice, captured in this community. I think this captures what slicing is all about. We gave ourselves the time (great word) to stop and pay attention, to stop and think more deeply, to bask (as you say) in the moment. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is living life over again…yes to this! I’ve loved reading how your slices blend with your daughters’ this March. It’s your own little writing community and I can’t think of anything sweeter. Thanks for all the ways you show up for all of us. I’m grateful for you! ❤️Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Time well spent" is a perfect way to descirbe this month! So glad we both are here in March! Thank you for your leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Capturing family moments is definitely one of my motivators. I hope my girls will slice with me someday. It’s been fun connecting. Cheers to another year and continued healing for you. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading Clare's posts and I read the squirting incident. I love being able to hear from two sides. Her prior post eulogizing you brought me to tears. There is nothing like the bond (and foibles) of mother/daughter relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! Is this you admitting it DID happen??! I've loved being able to join this community and love reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, what a fun post and how fun to write by your daughter this month. I love the squirt gun story in this post. I like that idea about living life over through the slices we share. "Fleeting and forgettable" moments can build community here in this space. Lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete