Thursday, March 14, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 14 of 31- I've been outed by one of my favorite slicers!

  It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

One of my greatest joys about the annual SOLSC is that my daughters do it with me. Larkin has been a part of the community for almost as long as I have. Since she is 27, that's more than half her life. Clare joined us last year, and jumped right back on the slicing bandwagon for a second year in 2024. Every day, I look forward to a notification or a text that they've posted a slice for the day. Even though I talk to both of them a lot, and there's a family chat as well as individual texting, reading about their lives through a slice gives a different view into their worlds. 

Except that today, Clare outed me. 



The background you might need to know is that we do name picking for holiday gifts, and Clare was my gift-giver. I thought I communicated that I wanted a water bottle, but she's always right about that sort of thing, so I didn't. And yes, my water bottle was delivered the first week of January. In my post, I wrote that my water bottle was not even a month old. So, yes, some things didn't line up. 

You see, I have a stash of slices that I've written during February that I allow myself once or twice over the course of the month. Does anyone else do this? That way, if there's just too much on my plate, I have a way to deal with it. Is this cheating? Maybe... but I had to revise it, and I had to post it, and I did plenty of commenting...

I know, I know... the point is to find the moments during these March days to zero in on and amplify with some writing. Every year, I learn so much about myself as a writer, and this outing from my daughter will wind its way into my end-of-the-month reflections. Authenticity matters. No more digging into my stash. Thanks, Clare! 



7 comments:

  1. I do the same thing. Over February break, I have time to think and make a plan for March. I try to get a few slices written so that I can grab them on mornings when I'm rushing around and can't think about my writing. I didn't know that we weren't supposed to do that! And very funny that your daughter outed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's FINE to do that, but maybe not in the family playbook-- different rules!

      Delete
  2. I WISH I did that! I always imagine I will have a cache of drafts or I will draft a day ahead or... Alas, it is only due to my time zone that I appear so "early" in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you on your toes, and as a follow up, the electrolytes are called Cure. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I love that your kid checked you on this. Aren't they always so good at this? It's almost as if there's some sort of pay back for all those years of us checking them.
    Strategies like yours are smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I don't write anything in February, I do write about things that have happened over the past months. It's my way of catching up on getting the memories down in writing! I love that your daughters slice. I'm working on convincing my oldest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have drafts lurking in my post list! I had to giggle a bit at this; leave it up to our children to point out our flaws!

    ReplyDelete