Monday, March 11, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 11 of 31- Delivering papers

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

Reading Sally's post brought me into a space of remembering my dad. Like she does, he used to pick up people's newspapers on his daily walk and bring them to doorsteps. Sometimes on his walk, he'd meet up with other neighborhood walkers and they'd all adjust their paces to enjoy their morning steps together. 

My dad met Dave who lived at the top of one of the hills because of his paper delivery service. Dave, much older than the other walkers, established a routine of leaving the door open on the mornings he was up and had a full pot of coffee made. The walking group would take a break and sit around Dave's table at the top of the hill with mugs of coffee, stories, and chuckles. 

Can you imagine the slices that could have been gathered in Dave's kitchen? Over the years, Dad shared many of them. 

I miss those slices. 

3 comments:

  1. I can "smell" the coffee brewing but I can only begin to imagine those stories! Everyone and everything was likely fair game,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than sitting around the table and sharing stories. The friendship, laughter and companionship can be felt as they sit around with 'mugs of coffee, stories, and chuckles'. Leaving the door open and making sure there was a full pot of coffee waiting is so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason I love slicing is because I learn about your memories and I think that's really special <3

    ReplyDelete