Friday, March 22, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 22 of 31- Changing Plans

  It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  


I was busy this morning, making sure my bags were packed, the sheets were clean for the dogsitter, the house was vacuumed, and we'd be ready to leave for Vermont as soon as I finished my 3:30 tutoring session. For several weeks, we've been looking forward to this trip, staying at the mountain home Sharyl and her husband have renovated. We had good wine to bring, great cheeses, and a couple of housewarming presents. 

Sharyl's office is next to mine, and this morning we brainstormed toppings for grilled pizza. Mushrooms? Sure. Pepperoni? You bet. Caramelized onions? Oh yes! 

But not too much later, Sharyl stopped me in the hall. 

"We've got a problem," she said. 

Her mother-in-law fell this morning, and she'd broken her hip. While I feel sorry for all of us, no question about who I feel the sorriest for. Over and over, I am reminded of how hard it is to get old and how tenuous life can be. It's such a small distance from where we are standing to the floor, and there's so much hurt that can come from a fall. 

We'll stay home this weekend. We'll enjoy basketball and rain instead of snow. (Vermont's expecting almost a foot of snow tomorrow.) And we'll send lots of healing thoughts to Crispin's mom. 

2 comments:

  1. You have really understated the disappointment in this piece! Reading about the plans you'd made, how ready you were, I feel disappointed for you! How kind you are to empathize with Crispin's mom and imagine her disappointment and pain. Thanks for a good reminder of how to be a kind human!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Natasha above, I also feel sorry for your disappointment. but you also love and support your friend who will be going through a hard time with their mom. This line: ‘It’s such a small distance from where we are standing to the floor’ and ‘how much hurt can come from a fall.’ We all know how serious a fall like that can end up being, I hope the best for your friend’s family.

    ReplyDelete