Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 20 of 31- Another writer in the family!

 It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  

I was just finishing a tutoring session when my phone buzzed. It was Julia calling. I tapped the automatic Can I call you later message, and she buzzed through with a couple of texts. 


WHAT?!?! Julia's writing...? Could that mean what I think it could mean? 

Julia is my second of four daughters. When I first started the SOLSC 13 years ago, my oldest daughter was curious. A natural writer, Larkin jumped right in and became the community's youngest member. Larkin has been back every year since, sharing her memories, reflections, and insights on high school, college, new jobs, dating adventures, and more. I think this is the year that she can say she has been taking this challenge for more than half of her life. Last year, my third daughter, Clare, had Challenge Curiosity. "Can I do it, too?" she wanted to know. 

When the girls were in high school, I was often a little sad because of their reading and writing lives-- they had so little enjoyment when it came to literary activities. After college, their love of reading has returned, and I was beyond thrilled that now Larkin AND Clare were reconnecting with their writing selves. Additionally, it is SO much fun to read their posts throughout the month. Every day I look forward to the email in my inbox that one of them has a new piece to share. 

All four of my daughters talk to each other a lot, and they've caught on to the energy of some of the posts. Larkin and Clare are funny in a way I wish I could be, and their humor comes shining through in their writing. Maybe the humor element inspired Julia to jump on board. Maybe the FOMO led her to the writing pond. Whatever the allure, I'm both incredulous and excited to welcome her. Woohoo! Another Meehan is slicing! 






6 comments:

  1. A family of writers! And sisters! I’ve been reading Clare’s posts this week and loved her bday shoutout to her sister. This is really special. I hope my girls grow up and remain close. ❤️Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I can't wait to read their posts! And I love that your girls are so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special! I credit the mom (after all when it always seems to be the mom who gets the blame when something goes wrong, we should take credit when something goes so right, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look what you have modeled and started in your family!! So fun!! Maybe the saying can be "The family that writes together, stays together!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting, Melanie! Congratulations on yoru family of writers. I had to go over and welcome Julia. This line form you Slice strikes me deeply, as i know the truth of it: "When the girls were in high school, I was often a little sad because of their reading and writing lives-- they had so little enjoyment when it came to literary activities" - a sad testimony, indeed, when education is being done to students, much like PD is done to teachers. I rejoice with you that their love of reading has returned and that they are reconnecting with their writer-selves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family slicing- love it. My mom just told me she wakes up to read my slices and then goes back to bed. Lol. I imagine it must be so fun reading each other's pieces.

    ReplyDelete