Monday, March 18, 2024

Slice of Life 2024: 18 of 31- A PSA for Wearing Sunscreen

It's March, and March is for slicing.  Anyone is welcome to join us through Two Writing Teachers, slicing, sharing, and commenting on other slices! 

  

  


Consider this a PSA for sunscreen, sunshirts, and annual checks! 

Dawn Sheriff had reminded me to enjoy my hair appointment, and I walked into the salon with her post in my head. Dawn pointed out the luxuriousness of sitting and having someone else dry and style your hair. She's not wrong, and last Thursday, my plan was to hit pause on my to-do list and relax in the styling chair. 

On the previous Friday, almost a week before my hair appointment, I had my annual skin check. An unpleasant but somewhat regular occurrence when you're a redhead with a history of many childhood sunburns is a quick freeze of a spot or even an occasional slice. Caitlin, the PA hadn't liked the look of a spot on my shoulder blade, so she biopsied it to be on the safe side. 

My best friend is the dermatologist, my daughter worked in the office for a couple of years, and I've had a couple other previous but harmless (relatively) spots, I know the drill. You get a call sooner than later if there's anything serious to worry or talk about. So, with almost a week between me and the biopsy, I was pretty sure I was in the clear. I was just waitng for a confirming call or an email with a message in my portal. 

Calynn was in the middle of painting my roots when my phone buzzed. It was Jen's office calling. 

"Let me take this," I said. "It's a dr's office and a quick one."

Jen's voice on the other end of the phone made my stomach flip. I know too much about protocols and when and why the providers call as opposed to the office staff. 

"I love you," I said, "but I don't think I'm happy that you're the voice on the other end of this call."

A couple of minutes later, I had a phone covered with hair goop, a diagnosis of stage 1 melanoma, an date for office surgery the following day, and a VERY failed resolve to relax and enjoy my hair appointment. 

These events happened a few days ago, so now I am sore, but healing. I had to wait to post about it because Garth and our youngest daughter were in Paris when all this happened-- no need to share the news across the pond. They were a little stunned to hear about my cancer adventure during the less-than-a-week that they were away. 

I've ordered a few fresh sun shirts-- Amazon has some great and inexpensive options. If you've been considering updating your summer attire with SPF clothing, do it sooner rather than later. Melanoma's no joke, and a little spot requires a not-so-little excision.  

10 comments:

  1. Yikes- hope you heal well and do not need follow up other than a renewed promise to be more sun safe. I am very fair skinned and burned too often and am always nervous about those checks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your slice at first comes across as matter-of-fact, listing the events and ending with a PSA. But reading between the lines, that C-word is scary. Glad you are healing. Grateful for skin doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it was caught EARLY! But still, this stinks.
    Ari is very prone to sunburn so I buy him large hats from him from UVSkinz. (He doesn't like wearing them as much now that he's 7.) Anyway, they have a good selection of SPF clothing, https://www.uvskinz.com. I know it isn't what you want to wear any more than Ari...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, one more thing... I buy coverups for myself from Athleta. They have some good coverups that are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some cute ones from Amazon. They have a lot of options for not that much $

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear this but so glad you caught it early. I have parted with many skin leasions, and I keep waiting to hear one day what you did. I did have one basal cell, but most have been fine. I am intersted in the shirts you bought. I now where a shirt most of the time in the pool, especially to keep my back from exposure, but I need to look these clothing items up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear this, but glad you found it. I had melanoma at 32! I got the call on the 7th day, so I related to that thinking. PSAs on this are important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are did the routine check! Skin cancer is no joke. My son is very prone to sunburn so we buy a lot of UV protective shirts and hats. Now that he's older I've been insisting he get used to using sunscreen even though he hates it! Hats aren't enough when one is swimming and he's old enough now to suck it up and do it.

    ReplyDelete